2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Benelli Super Black vs. Baretta Xtrema2

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Fishaholic 
#1 ·
Alright guys and gals..............I know this may start a pi$$ing contest, but I am in the market for an automatic. Any of ya'll shoot these guns? If so, what are the pros and cons of each?

BD

#2 ·
M2

I don't know a whole lot about the extrema, but I have a Benelli M2 which is very similar to the SBE and I love it. I hunt salt marshes a lot and it is super easy to clean, you can't pull the trigger fast enough and the recoil is definately better than my other guns. I haven't had mine very long but so far I love it.

If you don't shoot 3 1/2's I'd consider saving a few hundred and going with the M2.

#3 ·
i shoot the Xtrema II. I put about 6 cases of shells through the gun last year and never had a problem with it. Make sure that you get the one with the kick ease in it. you can litteraly shoot 2 3/4 shells through it with one arm and not feel anything. great dependable gun. both guns are top of the line. i just decided on the beretta. i will tell you that one thing that i have heard about the 2 that seems to be a common problem is that some of the barrells seem to be shooting or bent to the left. it is pretty much a **** shoot unless you buy a used one that has been patterned. i know that it would suck if you spent that kind of money on a shotgun and then had to send it to the manufacture to fix the barrell

#4 ·
Both guns are very compareable, I have shot a SBE for the past 5 years and at the same time my brother has shot a Extrema for 4 years.

1. Both guns hold up well in the salt marsh and the sandy plowed fields of the prarie.
2. Recoil is about the same
3. extrema is heavier than the SBE
4. SBE requires that the chamber be slammed closed with the push of the button, if you ease a shell in the chamber to be quite, ensure that it is locked into position other wise you will have a mis fire.
5. Clean the guns from top to toe with a moly lube.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

#5 ·
Once I went over to the SBEII I realized that it is by far the best duck hunting gun on the market.......I have never had a single problem in salt or fresh water with it and it gets used 3 times a week during hunting season and I clean it once at the end of the year......I have shot many other shotguns and to be honest it has become more of a personal preference at this point......I am not saying that the other guns are bad b/c they are not but the SBEII has never jammed; mis-fired, or missed (yeah right), the missing is usually operator error!!!!! To pay up the extra couple hundred bux to me is worth it b/c I will never need another shotgun

#6 ·
Next questions........

I have heard that the SB won't eject the 1 ounce loads. Every now and then the 1 1/8 loads will not cycle through either. Has this happened to anyone? Also, has anyone shot the Xtrema with and without the kick back system? Was there that much of a difference? Thanks so far for the info.

BD

#7 ·
boatdriver said:
I have heard that the SB won't eject the 1 ounce loads. Every now and then the 1 1/8 loads will not cycle through either. Has this happened to anyone? Also, has anyone shot the Xtrema with and without the kick back system? Was there that much of a difference? Thanks so far for the info.

BD
I've shot the SBE for 4 years now. I have never had the slightest problem with it. I ran a box of 3 1/2" shells through it the first thing and it shoots the heavy dove load with no problem. I couldn't be happier with the gun. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

#9 ·
I have shot them all, SBE, Extrema, Extrema II and SX2. I have seen good ones and bad ones. As good as the SBE is, there are bad ones out there. One of the guys i hunt with has been fighting with his for a couple years. If it is anything but squeeky clean it won't cycle. Another friend has had to send his back every season, something to do with the ejector or extractor breaking. Whatever it is it breaks all the time. I have had one and it shot great, never had a problem. Several other guys i know have had great luck with their SBEs as well. So while it is a great gun you can have problems with an SBE just like any of the others.

The Extrema was heavy and bulky. I didn't care for it.

The Extrema II feels much better to me than the Extrema. It is lighter and not as bulky feeling. Shoots pretty soft. I have much more limited experience with the Extrema II since it is fairly new but it seems to be a good gun.

The Win SX2 has been a pretty good gun for me. I have shot one for the last year or so. I like it, it is a soft shooting gun and has been very reliable. Now, when i get a bunch of sand in it while goose hunting it'll give me some cyclying issues but it has to be pretty gritted up to quit cycling properly. A quick cleaning and it is fine.

Really any of those guns will be fine provided you take care of it. Just try all of them and see what fits you best.

#10 ·
boatdriver said:

BD
I've never met anyone this has happened to, but apparrently it happens enough that anytime you consider buying a SBE at Carter's Country, they are required to advise you on the issue before you purchase. I was recently in the market for a new 12, and just couldn't justify the $500 diff between the Beretta 391 and SBE. They both have top of the line gas operating systems and less felt recoil than most of the shelf shotguns. As far as reliability, the Beretta is what you find in Mexico and Argentina outfitters armory's, shooting boocoo whitewing day after day, year after year, and after using one your shoulder doesn't feel like gound hamburger. Either way you won't be disappointed, other than the fact that you just missed Carters once a year 12mo no interest sale!

#11 ·
Sbe And Sbe 2

I have both of these . the SBE I have is 10 years old only have had ejectors brake they replaced it for free and sent it back , this gun had 30 cases of 3 1/2 load shot threw it for seven years it was my gun i used for guiding on the prarie mud ,sand or what ever it seamed to keep shooting when all other guns had stopped . I used to spray it off with a garden hose and spray with rem oil. Also just purchased SBE 2 I dont know why I can not tell the difference , they both will shoot light loads 1 oz they need to be broken in with heavier loads at first then they seamed to work fine . I think you can get a lemon on any gun you buy I have had great luck with these and never let me down ..

#12 ·
Benelli

Everyone seems to have or like the SBE. Does anyone own a Beretta? I shot a friend of mine's SBE and like it. I just thought that the name Beretta signified endurance and reliability. But, the more I read, so does Benelli. The reason that I shyed away from the SBs was because I have seen that the Nova pumps have given people trouble. Just kind of made me skeptic on bying an SB. Once again, thanks for the help!

OK here's the kicker. An uncle of mine called me yesterday and told me that one of his customers just traded in an Xtrema2 without the kick back system for one with the kick back. The gun is 2 months old!!! He wants to sell it to me for $850.00. What would ya'll do?

BD

#14 ·
I was gonna buy a Gold hunter, but...........

I was really thingking hard about a Gold, but seeing how the SB and the Beretta's felt, it was hard not to go with one of those. But, then, a buddy of mine just bought the new Silver and it feels awesome. Right now I shoot a BPS. so I am somewhat partial to Browning. But, then I think, hey-change can be good.

BD

#15 ·
Breatta or SBE

I think price wise beretta are cheaper , I will be up to you how much you want to spend ? 1300 dollars is allot but SBE will last a life time also they are deadly on turkeys , we call SBE garbage cans because no matter what you put in them the always shoot . and they have a 5 year warranty !!!!!!! JMT

#16 ·
scubaru said:
I was recently in the market for a new 12, and just couldn't justify the $500 diff between the Beretta 391 and SBE. They both have top of the line gas operating systems and less felt recoil than most of the shelf shotguns.
Really? You have a gas operated SBE? Must be the only one ever made.;)

The SBE is inertia (recoil) operated, not gas operated. It does not have a gas operating system of any kind.

#19 ·
Guns

I have both guns in the first gen (SBE1 and Extrema 1) both work great the SBE is a little faster, and has less areas to be affected by the elements, but the Extrema is a little smoother, will shoot a wider range of shells, a few more parts to be affected by the elements but not many and kicks less.
If you want just a gun for ducks and geese, and don't mind the kick then buy an SBE, if you want a all around gun then buy the Extrema.

On a side note Benelli is coming out with a new gun that is suspose to have less kick.

Good Luck

#20 ·
I bought my father a Benelli (2 3/4") about 30 years ago when we could still shoot lead shot. He probably killed 1,000 ducks and phesants with it and my brother still shoots it. It has never been in the shop. 20 years ago, I bought my wife a Benelli trap gun. Actually I bought it for myself and got caught with it and told her that I got it for her and was just testing it out. It has had about 3,000 rounds through it without a problem. Last year I shot a buddys SBE with an extended magazine tube to hold 9 shells at blackbirds in his wild rice fields. I shot the gun for three days with 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4" shells and never had a malfunction in over 1500 rounds. This year I bought a SBE from the 2Cool Classifieds and have used it Goose hunting with 3 and 3 1/2" loads and really love the gun. Up until now I have hunted birds with Win Mod 12's or Rem 11-87'z and I don't think I would go back to them for waterfoul now that I have used the SBE.

#21 ·
Browning Gold Hunter

[boatdriver,

I realize you have the Chevy and Ford controversy, BUT you mentioned it first, I didn't, so I think it is fair game for me to share Info about my Gold Hunter/ Browning. I will not tell you how many guns I own nor will I approximate the number of rounds I have through this particular Gun. But it is safe to say, (Thousands) And it continues to perform over and beyond the call of Duty. If you need to,you can ask some of the folks I hunt with!:D

Just my 2 cents, and Oh by the way I own all of which has been mentioned.

Balanced is the secret..

QUOTE=boatdriver]I was really thingking hard about a Gold, but seeing how the SB and the Beretta's felt, it was hard not to go with one of those. But, then, a buddy of mine just bought the new Silver and it feels awesome. Right now I shoot a BPS. so I am somewhat partial to Browning. But, then I think, hey-change can be good.

BD[/QUOTE]

#22 ·
I have a Benelli SBE II Confortec in MAX-4 camo with 26" barrel and Benelli M-2 20 gauge with 26" barrel in Timber HD. Both guns are great. I have no problems with these great shotguns. The M2-20 gauge weighs only 5.8 pounds and is wonderful dove and quail gun. It has killed alot of ducks as a spare gun for a visiting friend. The SBE weighs in at 7.1 pounds and is very handy around a duck blind. Both guns make me a better shot than I was.

#24 ·
I have an Extrema2 and love it. No problems what so ever doesnt rust and hardly kicks at all i can shoot 3.5's all day and not have a sore shoulder. Take the lightest of dove loads to the big 3.5 inch mags without a problem. I highly recommend it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.