2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

From Opening Weekend

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  drred4 
#1 · (Edited)
Bucks From Opening Weekend Hunt

Just now getting to post opening weekend kill. This was a textbook situation in which the doe came out in one of my shooting lanes for about 5 seconds and then bolted after she looked me in the eye. We had already seen the rut was in full force so I just sholdered my gun on the bi-pod and waited. After nearly 5 minutes he came out in the same opening, stopped in the same spot and I looked him in the eye through the scope. Didn't have time to count horns and I made a decision on bulk and age. Flip the safety and dropped him. He was 4+ years and at or near 160 lbs. That is a large deer for Doss Texas.
First year using the Nossler Partition bullet and I now see what the rave is about. Exceptional knockdown power.
The next few are of a very nice eight that will find the cross hairs within a couple of years, IF, he makes it. Pics were removed from the video I shot of him a couple of evenings later. Figured he is right at 3 years or so. What do y'all think?
All of the deer look very healthy this year in our area and they are currently eating the heck out of acorns. Feeders were basically worthless opening weekend. Made several out of stand hunts with close encounters that were very interesting.
Good times with my brother, old friends, new friends and top it off with meat in the freezer.......good stuff for sure.

GCB

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Good job ... he sure looks like he tied him self to the 4 wheeler!

John

#15 ·
Glad you finally posted your story Bro...Congrats again on the buck.

We didn't officially weigh the buck since I could find the dang scale, but this is probably in the top three in weight that have taken on our place. Took three of us to get him hung in the tree.

The 7500lbs of protein and corn we fed since March (170 acre place) has really been noticable this year in body sizes. The antlers should follow in the next year or two.

#16 ·
Thanks for the replies. As my brother said most deer take 2 of us on the rope pull over the tree. This one took three of us after he was dressed. Plenty of meat came off that feller.

Consensus on the 8 seems to be about what I was thinking at 3.5. Sure hope to see him next year.

GCB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.