2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Whats wrong with this Buck?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chiefcharlie 
G
#1 ·
I dont hunt deer too often, i've always enjoyed bird hunting and fishing more but, I was up at a buddy's ranch this past weekend sitting in a blind and this guy walks out from behing the blind. Is it possible he just never had the other side of his rack or did it just fall off? I always thought deer shed their antlers later in the winter.

See less See more
#2 ·
Damaged More Than Likely...

It could have been broken off during a fight, he could have run into something and broke it off, or due to a previous injury to the pedicle he may never grow an antler on that side again.

I have one like that at our place right now. Saw him last year, eye gouged out, left antler broken off. This year he's back and is sporting only a right main beam, no left one so he's damaged the pedicle and probably won't grow another antler from his left side.

Good buck too, wide spread, long main beam but not legal to shoot in our county due to the antler restrictions...he doesn't have an unbranched antler. But he's spreading some good genes to the herd and he's safe from being shot by neighbors so we hope to watch him or a few years.

TH

Attachments

#7 ·
boat said:
I remember a few years back when I shot a doe with one eye, a buck with one testical and a turkey with one leg. Every one I know in Junction said I had to quit hunting the handicap zones. That was a strange season.
2funny..thats a greenie!

still grinning

chief

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.