2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cows on my deer lease

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  tufffish 
#1 ·
So I just found out that the landowner leased out the grass rights on my deer lease. What is the best way to keep the cows from tipping over my feeder? I have seen that some people build a fence around their feeders and some just pound in a metal fence post by each leg and wire the leg to the post. If I choose to build a fence how big of a fenced in area should I make? Any thoughts as to which way is better?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I would build a fence or those cows will be laying under your feeder every morning. We have gone to using portable 10' pen panels for ours... partly because they are easy to move and you need a jackhammer to set a post on our place. They are about $42.00 per panel and you need around 7 or 8 of them to make a good sized pen. The good thing is they are easy to set up and easy to transport but they are a little expensive.

#4 ·
it all comes down to how high are the feeder legs if you can reach the spinner plate so can the cows / longer legs with t post or 12 hog panels each 16 ft long 3 per side + tpost ! + side is no hogs eating your corn or you can bend them in to circle and cut out 1 per bend

#7 ·
i have never hunted where there are no cows. they are part of the ranch. 4 to 6 goat panes will work. the deer get over easy. if the cows push on it get some sucker rod and put them along the top to hold up the panels better. goats are the problem if you feed. they will learn to be at the feeder better than the deer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.