2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Hill Country Buck

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  WilliamH 
#1 ·
My buddy shot this one a few days ago. 11 points with a blowhole, 17" spread. I only harvested a couple of do's. Still some time.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Like I said "not knocking you". The reason I say this is the deer is 3.5 to 4.5 yrs of age, that being said, everyone should let the deer get to 5.5 to 7.5 if you want the most mature deer. It gives the bucks more time to breed. I was in the Llano / Marble Falls area this weekend. I personally seen 3 145" deer and 1 160"+. I was with me bother in-law, who stated that he seen a 170"+ in the same area. This is free range no extra protien. If you let the deer get older they will get this big.

The Buck was legel and is a great trophy for the hunter.

#12 ·
Fish-a-mon said:
Like I said "not knocking you". The reason I say this is the deer is 3.5 to 4.5 yrs of age, that being said, everyone should let the deer get to 5.5 to 7.5 if you want the most mature deer. It gives the bucks more time to breed. I was in the Llano / Marble Falls area this weekend. I personally seen 3 145" deer and 1 160"+. I was with me bother in-law, who stated that he seen a 170"+ in the same area. This is free range no extra protien. If you let the deer get older they will get this big.

The Buck was legel and is a great trophy for the hunter.
That is YOUR opinion not his...I respect yours but he may not care about letting them grow is my point..the "not knocking you" I read...but I still think was uncalled for IMO.

#14 ·
Fish-a-mon,

I didn't shoot it, my buddy did. He is a lifelong freind of mine, more than 30 years. He lives in Atlanta now but his love for hunting in Texas draws him back every year, even though he has to pay the out of state license fees on top of the deer lease fee. Had he passed on it, who knows, maybe it would have made it another two years. This is a low fence ranch. He was real happy with it. We showed it to the land owner and he was real happy with it also.

I put two does in the freezer. My first time to deer hunt in 20 years.
Not knocking your comments.

#15 ·
NIce deer, I think each person is his own judge when it comes to trophy and I applaud that deer being taken. When we start passing on deer like that because we wonder two years down the road we are doing a great dis-service to ourselves and enjoying the reason we got out there in the first place.

Where is that place in the hill country?

#18 ·
It is one thing to comment on another hunter who asks what you think about a deers age or score and quite another to criticize or belittle another hunters deer taken because he is too young, should be a cull or something else. Everyone has their own criteria on what constitutes a good deer to them and we should all be happy that they accomplished their goal. Live and let live and hunt.

#19 ·
Nice Buck!! Very Nice!!!! Congrats to your Buddy.... and to you for scoring the does!!
Welcome back to hunting!!!! I'll be watching for more>

chief

and a large thanks to those who are trying to put good manners and mutual respect back into this forum!!
Positive Peer Pressure is the best thing in the world......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.