2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

lake sommerville

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  TXteal 
#1 ·
Has anyone duck hunted lake sommerville? When I was going to school at A&M we used to go over there alot. Any birds on the lake this year?

aggiefisher

#3 ·
Well correct me if I am wrong but when I was in school have of the lake was permit hunting that they had a drawing for spots. The other end of the lake was first come first serve. Anyone know if it is still this way and also if so is there any ducks on it?

aggiefisher

#4 ·
Somerville

You are correct Sir. Most of the lake is for drawn blind areas,fourty to be exact. The top part of the lake by Nails Creek Park is the public hunting area. You will need to go to the TPWD site and look up the area. Or call the TPWD office for that area and get the information that way. Good luck.

#8 ·
I agree bullethead. People think that sommerville is a big secret for duck hunters. However, anyone that duck hunts has probaly heard about the lake and the number of ducks it holds. I know there is ducks on the lake. I was just curious to here some reports from people that have been there. And I know there are some 2coolers that have been there

#11 ·
I am in school here now and i have heard good things about flag pond on lake somerville. The only thing is in the public hunting manual it says you must get to it by boat, is this true and when the lake is low is that even possible. Oh by the way i have seen alot of pics of alot of birds coming off the lake.

#12 ·
Lake Somerville

I grew up hunting the Yegua Creek bottom long before Lake Somerville was even proposed...Heck, I even surveyed for construction of the lake....It's a natural haven for ducks...Flag Pond was one of the premeire spots when I was a kid and it still is....Capt. Wayne

#13 ·
SCOTT SOKOLY said:
DAYUM RIGHT AGGIE!!!!!!!! THERE"IS" DUX!" J/K MY WIFE IS AN AGGIE, so I just speak slowly to her!
Do you call her boss as well? haha

Last year flag pond held lots of ducks early on because it was one of the few places still holding water, but you could not get to it by boat. The only way was walking up the canal from the lake and I was a little too lazy for that hike. It would certainly be worth it if the lake is up.

#16 ·
I hunted Lake Scumerville a few times this season already and it was hit and miss just like anywhere else. There has been some shooting going on at Flag Pond, so dont think you will have the place to yourself. There's one thing Scumervillle doesnt have a shortage of, and thats hunters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.