2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Last years memories!!!!

995 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Kicker 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the board, but thought I'd lighten the mood from all the god playing, no good culling, sour grape eating, lo/high fence, high $$$$ rack killin, big ranch owning, no ranch owning, debates going on. Thought I'd pull out some braggin from last year, and hope to repeat it this weekend, on our hunt,, good lord willing........This was a little story and some pics I sent out to my family and buddies after my 6 yr. olds first buck.

Memories for a Father and Son

I actually thought about this weekend the day my son was born. A good buddy of mine from down home, just recently aquired control of his familes ranch. After his dad died, and he inherited the ranch, 4th generation owner, we have been working to get the ranch back up and running. Headed down for the last weekend of deer season and all I can say, it was a time that dreams are made of.

I bought Cade a couple of guns for Christmas, and we have been chomping at the bit for a chance to put them to good use.

Arrived down in South Texas at the ranch on Friday. Took Cade out for a few practice shots with the .223, on some cans and buckets. After a few shots and good hits, he was ready. Driving down the first sendero, came up on a group of Javalinas. My Buddy John Greg said, take a shot at one of those javalinas and let's see how he does. Cade sets up, and first shot, drops him his first Javalina. Talk about a metamorphasis. He was no longer a shy boy, but rather, a young man on his way to manhood.
!

Drive about a mile down the first sendero, 3 whitetail doe bolt across the trail with a big *** buck right behind them. JG cuts them off and has the truck between the does and the buck. We jump out of the truck, and find some cover behind some scrub brush. IT's a beautiful 12 pt. with about a 21 inch spread. I told my buddy John Greg, it was to big of a trophy for his first deer. He said, it's a long time till next deer season, no telling what life will bring between now and then. He said, you or I might not be around, now tell him to shoot the **** deer, and lets count our blessings. Cade sets up, heavy breathing, heart pumping and eyes wide, he says he's ready and has a good shot on the shoulder, like we have practiced many times. I tell him to squeeze the trigger and take the shot. "CLICK" ****, misfire. I grab the gun and reload it. He takes aim and "CLICK", ****, another misfire. Reload, takes aim, pulls the trigger, "CLICK", 3rd misfire in a row. Big Buck turns and hauls ***. I'm screaming inside, new gun and box of shells, 3 misfires, and the buck of a life time runs off. I'm going to sue Federal Ammunition, Academy, and who ever else had anything to do with the manufacturing of these shells
. Oh well, that's hunting, get to bed early and give it another try in the morning.

Got Cade up at 0500, he wasn't to keen on getting out of the warm bed and heading to the cold, dark, blind. After a little prodding and a few threats, we are on our way.

He's not having much fun sitting in the blind. But as soon as the sun starts coming up, and we have some deer start showing up, he kicks into high gear. After looking at 5 bucks, and a parade of does, he picks him one out. He watched the buck for about 25 minutes before he turned and gave him a shot. Got set up, Dad backed off and let him get a good aim, and get comfortable. Said he was ready and the cross hairs were on the shoulder. I told him to squeeze the trigger when he felt comfortable with his aim. "Blam", the deer jumped straight up, about 3 ft, ran about 20 yards, spun around 2 times and dropped dead. WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO, we were jumping around in the blind, hooping and hollering. His first whitetail buck was on the ground.

I captured it all on video, and all I can say is, it was an awesome experience, moments were captured that dreams are made of. I have been thinking about this moment since the day he was born. All luck really...right place at the right time. I guess all the praying I had been doing about this trip for the last 6 years paid off. The man upstairs definatley lent a guiding hand in this youngsters first attempt, for his first whitetail buck. And what a buck it was, beautiful 9 point, with an 18 and a half inch spread.

If you read this far, then you have to come over and watch the video
. The ironic thing about this whole experience is, my first buck that I killed on this ranch as a youngster, had almost the exact same rack and was bagged within a mile of the same place. It was finally as I've always dreamed.........

"Like Father....Like Son!!!!!!!!"

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Way to go, Cade....and you too, Sid..Knew that kid didn't have any choice but to be a hunter...sumthin' about 'genes' or sumthin..LOL...So glad Cade had a good run...he has a pretty good teacher...and 'teach' has a pocket full of 'tickets' for this year..lol..Now get on back out there and let's see what he can do to show up the Old Man this time.

Now, all that *** kissing is out of the way, get a couple more and grind 'em up. I done run plumb out of sausage...mmmmmmm goooood...

The Old One

#8 ·
Don't mind at all....

Was hoping some would post up some last yr. pics, since it's so early in the season. I imagine there will be plenty of new ones in the weeks to come....Good ole Kingsville, was born and raised down there...Attended school there for a while when it was Texas A&I.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.