2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Quail in Carrizo Springs

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  chiefcharlie 
#1 ·
Went down to Carrizo this weekend looking to take a cull and shoot some quail. Earlier this year, we were full of quail. This weekend we did not see ONE covey on 3600 acres. Anyone having the same problem?

#5 ·
Last weekend on the Catarina and Pozo ranches, we didn't see a single quail. We heard a bob whistle, once, near the camp house. One other hunter said he saw a single covey of aprox 75 birds near his blind while he was deer hunting... We covered quite a lot of ground over 3 days of hunting. It was a good thing the dove were thick.

#8 ·
ROOSTER REDCHASER said:
You guyz in Carrizo and Catarina should be shot for even thinking about hunting quail during deer season.

Man, that is the best (in my humble opinion) whitetail country in Texas....u lucky dawgs!
Every man's gotta carry their own water.

I'd rather go on 15 x 3 day quail hunts than a single 4 day deer hunt, because that's what the prices work out to be.

#9 ·
I hunt on El Jefe Ranch 7 miles east of Carrizo Springs and have only seen 3 small coveys of quail in last 2 months .Although quail hunting is off limits on most of the ranch we have noticed a decline in numbers this year.The summer was very hot and we have seen a large number of snakes this year as well.Both can really hurt the quail population.

Good Luck
Art

#11 ·
sportnart said:
I hunt on El Jefe Ranch 7 miles east of Carrizo Springs and have only seen 3 small coveys of quail in last 2 months .Although quail hunting is off limits on most of the ranch we have noticed a decline in numbers this year.The summer was very hot and we have seen a large number of snakes this year as well.Both can really hurt the quail population.

Good Luck
Art
Now that you mentioned it, we have killed more rattle snakes this year than in the previous five years.......10 years for that matter.

#12 ·
We have a few coveys that made it...Only because of dense live creek cover and year round feeding....Still too many Road-runners and *****.....
I hate roadrunners...

We won't hunt any this year....(So Live Oak Co.)

chief

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.