2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Son's First Deer

3K views 37 replies 36 participants last post by  drred4 
#1 ·
I don't even know how to begin to describe the emotions that I am still feeling after Sunday morning. I took my son this weekend to try and get his first deer. He has been going to the stand with me since he was 3. He is now 7. Saturday morning started out with a nice 8pt. 15yrds from us. There was no way to get the gun out and my son quite enough for us to pull off a shot. So we watched him walk away. Don't get me wrong, we did try, but a noisy 7 year old pushed the deer off. No big deal. Well we didn't see anything the rest of that morning or that evening. Then Sunday morning we went to another stand on the back side of our property. About 7am we saw a really tall narrow rack 6pt. We were watching him when 2 does came infront of the stand. One doe went to the feeder and the other one took off toward the buck. Well the buck started chasing the doe and got to about 50yds from the stand. Tyler already had the gun out the window. I asked him if he was on him he said yes, i said shoot him. All we heard was a big ol' CLICK. In all the excitement, I forgot to take the safety off. So I hurried up and took the safety off and by that time the deer ran off. No big deal, we had a doe in the feeder pen. After about 5 minutes of watching her, he was ready to try and shoot her in the neck. BOOM, dirt flew up everywhere and she ran off. That is when the buck fever took over and he started shaking and saying that his hands had frost bite on them. After calming him down and warming him back up, and the drink and the snacks were gone around 8am I saw another deer coming to the feeder. This was another buck. At 71yrds this little 7yr old put the smack down on his first buck. Shot with a .223 right behind the shoulder. The hollow point shredded his heart. After I calmed down from hollering you got him and wiped the tears of joy away, there were alot of high fives and hugs. Here are some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Way to go Tyler and Dad too. My son was 10 when he took his first eight point and he almost choked me to death when he hugged me around my neck. Remember these times well Dad as they are fleeting. My son went with his "girlfriend" to the movies this weekend instead of to the deer lease with Dad.

#17 ·
That is a reat story. I'm still waiting for my 17yr old to take a deer. Unfortunitely
I started hunting a couple yrs a go and my son was already a teen. So now its competeing against girls and his friends. He's gone the past 2 weekends but I think that might be it for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.