2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Boy did I blow it

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  neckdeep 
#1 ·
This was probably my last chance to hunt this year, my wife and I are expecting a baby boy 12-14-06 so I'll be sticking around the house.

Hunted Saturday moning and saw 1 doe, I decided to take my bow that afternoon and if I got a shot at a doe I would take her with it. I also had the 7 mag bc my stand is on the edge of a highline and I can see a couple of hundred yards down the edge. The line is grown up and thick this year so all I can see is a road on the tree line. Saturday afternoon I was checking some yardages with my range finder at 4 pm, sun shinning and wind blowing like crazy. I looked up and there was a solid 10 pt standing about 75 yards staring right at me in the middle of the road. Oh Shiart - he's got me nailed.

I frooze and then tried to ease the 7 mag up and the deer bolted on me dangit. I wasn't thinking they would move until later due to the wind.
This bucks horns looked to be outside the ears and were pretty tall and heavy, one of the largest I have ever seen while hunting and he shat all over me

Now I have to think about that all year

#4 ·
I should of had my gun in my hand and the bow hanging up.

That's the 2nd big deer we have let shart on us on our lease in 1 week. There is a game refuge about a mile from us and when all the Yahoos start hunting in it we start seeing nice bucks at odd times

#7 ·
no Mav's jersey but I did have my camo #8 Dale Jr cap on backwards. That's my bow shooting and killing hat.

Funny thing is my buddy was hunting about 200 yards, through the woods from me, on another fire lane. I had to just sit there waiting to hear him shoot but he never saw the deer.

#8 ·
Next time if he is staring at you, try being ready to grab the gun and shoot, but don't until he looks away. Even if you are busted and he is in a narrow opening, he'll usually look away before bolting, its in that short time frame you need to grab the gun and shoot. I did the same thing on Sat. But I didn't move till he looked away, grabbed the gun and got the shot off as he was about in the brush. Had I moved when he was looking I doubt I'd have meat in the cooler.

Jeff

#10 ·
This one had me cold busted bc I wasn't expecting them to move till later in the day and was up there moving around. I was ranging my feeder etc so I would know my bow range.

Sickening is what it is I tell ya

that was the biggest deer I've had a chnce at in quite a while, 5 or more years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.