2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Scimitar Horned Oryx Harvest

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  6Mile 
#1 ·
Well, I have been raising some Scimitar Horned Oryx for about 3.5 yrs now and they have our place WAY overgrazed. We decided it was time to sell the three offspring and ground check the two oldest (the breeding pair).

I invited Bret down to help out with this task and let him shoot the cow in exchange for all the times he has taken me fishing and hunting. He gladly accepted.

He showed up about 6.30 am and we put out some alfalfa and oats for the oryx to feed on while we could get a decent shot. Thanks goes out to Charles Helm and Whacker for all the good advice on shot placement to make this task a little easier.

We were going take simultanious shots, but we could never get both animals in the right place at the right time.. So I told Bret to take the cow as soon as he has a clean shot. He lays one off with the .300 Win mag and get a great shot. Both front legs disabled and both lungs hit. It goes down right where it was standing. Of course, the others flee up the creekbed. We decide to go load the downed animal on the trailer and see if the others are close by.

The others are still close by and I was able to shoot the second animal off hand at about 45-50 yards. Both lungs hit. It ran about 40 yards and went down no problem.

Both animals on the ground by 7.30am... not bad. Pic taken, animals field dressed, (those guts sacks had to be at least a hundred lbs each) and off to the market we went. Great morning it turned out to be.

The cow went 37 inches 175 lbs dressed and the bull went 36 inches 185lbs dressed.

First pic is Bret with his Oryx
Me with mine.

Scott

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
2cool! A guy got one off our place a few years back. A good reason to shoot a big gun... You have options: You can make a clean kill with just double lung and spare no meat. Or you can take out the shoulders with the lungs to guarantee your trophy. Just sit 'em down!

Is that a Remington Sendero in the first pic with a custom stock? Looks like a Swarovski or Zeiss.

#9 ·
TOP FLIGHT said:
Is that a Remington Sendero in the first pic with a custom stock? Looks like a Swarovski or Zeiss.
It is a custom 700 stainless from Euless guns and Ammo. fluted etc.. Kahles scope. the thing weighs 6lbs empty and kicks much less than my 270. Nice trigger... you just think about it and it goes off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.