2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Q about 8 Pt Bucks

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  PalmsUp 
#1 ·
This past weekend I was priveliged to go hunt 10,000+ acre S TX ranch. The gentleman that took me shot a 140 BC w 4 inch drop tine that dressed 150 and was about 6yrs old. Another guest shot a 138 bc 8 pt that dressed 145 and was 5-6 yrs. The ranch has 4 lessee hunters that can shoot 4 160 class "trophy bucks" this year and they must kill 28 undesirable bucks (not Trophy bucks) Guests shoot cull bucks or 70+ does. Last year I shot a cull 8 pt that was the biggest buck I ever killed.

Q- Will an 8 pt buck of this age increase to a 9 or 10+ pt next year or will it always be an 8 pt?
Q- Would a 130+ BC 6 or 8 pt buck be considered a "Trophy" if the biologist deemed only 160 class deer are "trophy" Would these bucks increase pts?
Q- The ranch has a "sanctuary" that is about 500+ (maybe more) acres that no one can hunt. Is this necessary on a ranch of this size with this few hunters?
Q- How far is a whitetails range? We it discussed only being a mile or so from where it was born. Whats the real answer and if its a mile+/- how do the do the animals find the the sanctuary? Again, is it necessary?

#4 ·
It does sound like culling 8pts on this ranch makes sense. W/all that you saw. As far as a sanctuary, 4 hunters, 10k acres, doesn't make sense to have sanctuary to me but really with that much acreage who cares. The focus is the 8pt pop. and it sounds like its needs culling. Older 8ptrs. can develop kickers but most likely will be main frame 8's for life. But also, that is the norm for bucks. They are designed to be 8's anything over is a blessing for them. As far as range, I've seen whitetail that I would bet wouldn't leave a 50 acre area but I think a whitetail might travel as far the fence will let him.

#5 ·
A whitetail buck's area is thought to be a square mile or at least that's what the TP&W has figured out with the help of radio collars and such.. So that give it 640 acres to play with, a bit more than the 500 acre sancturary.

No, eights will not always be eights.

If it's a trophy to you, then it's a trophy. It won't get you a jacket by the score of 130 but hey, if you're happy!

TH

#8 ·
Q- Will an 8 pt buck of this age increase to a 9 or 10+ pt next year or will it always be an 8 pt?
A- No way to know for sure.

Q- Would a 130+ BC 6 or 8 pt buck be considered a "Trophy" if the biologist deemed only 160 class deer are "trophy" Would these bucks increase pts?
A- Trophy is a personal thing, but the biologist is using that term b/c he/she is designated 160+ as their target for the top bucks.

Q- The ranch has a "sanctuary" that is about 500+ (maybe more) acres that no one can hunt. Is this necessary on a ranch of this size with this few hunters?
A- I don't think so, in fact I think it hinders their management. If they don't know what is in there then how can they properly determine their harvest needs, etc.

Q- How far is a whitetails range? We it discussed only being a mile or so from where it was born. Whats the real answer and if its a mile+/- how do the do the animals find the the sanctuary? Again, is it necessary?
A- Their range can vary. Our place is 8500 acres and some bucks will end up on different ends of the ranch at different times of year...but they usually end up back where they started.

If you saw 10-15 8pts each sitting, then what else did you see (# of does and other bucks)? If you are seeing that many 8pts each sitting then they probably need to kill more deer!

#9 ·
8 pts

I think Woodrow nailed it. I would only add that a deer will often show his rack tendencies early in life. If by 3.5 he is a plain 8pt, chances are he will remain an 8pt. If he is 6.5 years old, chances are even better to remain an 8. Of course, if you take a standard 8 at 3.5 and pour the protein to them, they will often make a bunch of stickers, but normally will not add typical points. Ranchers are looking for high-scoring deer, 8s usually do not get large scores. Having said that, there are exceptions. And, as many have stated, beauty is in the eye of the shooter. We try to take only 8 pts that are inferior, less than 130 or so. If it scores over that, it either must be 6.5 years old or it counts as a trophy. This is in the Hill Country.
BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.