2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

coyote

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  gulfcoast200 
#1 ·
Anyone ever had a group follow you close enough you finally had to shoot one. This evening I was hog hunting with my bow, I also take my shotgun w/00 buck shot just in case I get in a bind because I hunt on the ground. Anyways it gets dark and I am walking back to 4 wheeler, I get up to the bayou and shine back behind me and I see 3 sets of eyes, no big deal I keep walking and about 50 yards later I turn around and shine and the suckers are closer and at a slow trot. Normally when I come across coyotes they run like hell when the light hits them but these kept coming. Finally two of them stop about 60 yard out. So I turn my light off and put my bow down and turn the light back on and the 3rd is still coming so I let him get about 35 yard and gave him a lip squeak to stop him and let him have it with 00 buck. Just wondering how close he would of got if I wouldn't have had my shot gun.

#3 ·
I hunt between Angleton and Danbury. I dought it was rabies, I figure they were all young and uneducated to what a light could do to them. I have done some varmint hunting before and the young pups were always easy to call in. These were not coming to a call though, i figure i was just in the path they were traveling and my light didn't scare them, but the other 2 did run like hell after I shot there buddy.

#5 ·
Shoot them all

I shoot every coyote I can. I sleep in a tent at our camp, and if someone shoots something with in a couple of hours it seems they are all over that gut pile. Never been followed, but I would have shot just like you. Very spooky walking in the pre dawn hours and walking up on them.

#9 ·
gulfcoast200 said:
I normally shoot them too, but this a bird lease and our rules forbid us from having rifles during duck and goose season. If I would of had my deer rifle it would of never got spooky because I would of shot them the minute I spotted them.
I have the same lease rules. Carry some HS Coyote loads for coyotes & hogs. Bowl 'em over & keeps you legal.

#11 ·

I don't know if you use the same trail in and out. But if your killing something and bring it back and cleaning it and leaving, then they know where to get an easy meal. They know what your doing there. Back to the thread on big cats. They were or one was following us around at the river. After we would shoot a hog with the bow we would follow a good blood trail and then it would just dissapear. We finally found a hog cemetary of hog skulls and bones. My buddy spotted one following him back to the truck. He's smelled them before and recognized the smell of a big cat. That cat knew we were killing hogs and would wait for the squeal and find it before us. We must have lost over 10 hogs the same way. It gets kinda spooky. I always try to carry a pistol.

#12 ·
This was my third time to hunt this feeder the first time I shot one hog and got a pass through and stuck a second but never found it. I did drag the first one out with the 4 wheeler 4 days before. They may have associated the sound of my 4 wheeler with a free meal and were waiting until dark to check out the area. That night I actually stayed past dark because I heard the hogs and was hoping they would come in and I had timer issues with my feeder that I needed to straighten out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.