2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Got a phone call last night

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Pocboy 
#1 ·
A fellow 2cooler called me last night and said come out to the lease and check out my deer. Its big he said. We drove out to the lease and he had a huge buck. The rack was impressive enough at 133 1/8 but this dude was heavy. We all guessed 200# maybe a little over. Nope. 225# hanging. Field dressed at 175#. I have the pictures but forgot my cable. Hopefully take care of that tomorrow. GurmTsu should be along to fill in the details. Nice deer John.

#9 ·
OK, here it is...
Too Tall has the pictures in his camera. But, since he's out of town (from his house), he had to leave his cable at home. It's not allowed to travel with him.

(EDIT:Well I guess he did get it. Sorry Tod.)

GurmTsu

It's a pretty funny story, really.
I woke up at 5:30 Saturday morning and went to work. I had to leave the office early to go play in a golf tournament at 11:30. That went well… Played better than expected…shot 75. I pulled out of the parking lot at 3:45 in the afternoon.

I had been invited to a friend's place to hunt Saturday evening, spend the night and then hunt in the morning. I also had to be back in town by 10:00 Sunday morning to play the second day of the tournament. That didn't go so well. Got my butt kicked on the front and tied the back.

OK. Get back on track.

I left the golf course at 3:45. Since I had planned ahead, I had all of my hunting stuff in the truck. I drove straight to the ranch and was at camp at 4:30. I didn't want to waste too much time so I didn't change clothes. All I did was put on my boots and a camo shirt over my golf shirt. I parked about 75 yards from the blind and grabbed my gun and binoculars. I was in the blind at 4:40.

A black buck doe walked out about 4:50. Then I started to cough. It was really pi$$ing me off. I couldn't help it. I tried to fight it and cough quietly so I wouldn't make to much noise. Well, that didn't work so I decided, screw it, it's only a black buck doe. So, I coughed as hard as I could and it scared her away. She came back and acted like nothing happened. My throat felt better. All was good.

Then, less than 5 minutes after I coughed, she spooked and didn't come back. I figured that if she could put up with my coughing, there was "something else" that made her leave. From behind a tree, I saw a set of heavy looking antlers and a head. He kept walking out like he owned the place. This guy looked like a 55-gallon drum on four legs. I reached for my video camera…crud! I left it in the truck. I watched for a few minutes in disbelief of how big his body was. I called my buddy on the phone and told him that he HAD to come over and see this guy. It took about 15 minutes for him to show up. The deer was still hanging around. He took a good look at the deer, said a few very choice and descriptive words, then said "shoot him". I hit him on the right side. He went down on to his knees then jumped up and back to his left behind some brush. There was no doubt that he was hit hard. We gave him about 15-20 minutes then got in his hunting truck and drove over to get him. We were walking pretty carefully. I looked up and there he was, standing behind some cactus, a little off balance, looking right at me. He started to walk slowly. I brought the rifle up and shot him a second time. He fell in his tracks. We kept looking at him in disbelief of how big he was.

Anyway, it took us about 10 minutes to lift this guy up and get him into the bumper rack on his hunting truck. We took him back to camp, hung him up on the scale and just laughed.

That's when I called Too Tall. He came out with a couple other friends and they all said the same thing…WOW and then a few more of those choice and descriptive words.

He was 225 lbs on the hoof and 175 lbs field dressed.

The rack was nice too. 10 point plus a kicker and scored 133 1/8. The mass is what really got it into 130's.

#16 ·
GurmTsu said:
Maybe! LOL!

Stupid me, I thought my 7mm mag. would have been enough.
Dont shoot it in the behind (***) next time. That was some bad shakes you had going on. :eek: Looked like you had 10 pots of coffee in ya when we got there. Just kidding. See you at the tree in about 5 hours.

#20 ·
That is an awsome deer. Just curious, not trying to hijack this thread, but would that buck be legal in a county with antler restrictions. It looks like the inside spread is inside the ears. I would have a hard time passing up on that buck where I hunt in Victoria.
BTW, I am not questioning whether this is a legal buck.
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.