2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Deep Woods

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  peelin' drag 
#1 ·
I hunt the Moore Plantation in East Texas. Saturday, I met a young man and his 4 yr old son in camp. Saturday night when I returned to camp after dark they were still out. Cooked and ate supper and they are still out. Not knowing his hunting habits or location I could only sit by the fire and wonder if he was lost or just left all his gear in camp and went home. It was supposed to be 37 deg that night. Approx 7:30pm the game warden pulls into camp asking about the guy. He had cell phone coverage and called for help. The GW and Sheriffs dept were patroling the woods. They found them and returned them to camp around 10:00 pm. He is diabetic and a waiting emt took care of his falling sugar levels. This could have been a bad situation, he had his 4 yr old with him.
He took a turn on his well worn/traveled trail to go around a fallen tree and never found the trail again.

Tell someone know where your are hunting (general vacinity)
Tell them when to expect you back.
Dress for the weather.

Ya'll be carefull out there.

#4 ·
"I think someone needs a gps from Santa. Glad to hear he was ok."

He said when the gw, forest dept and sheriff dept found them, they had been marking their path on a gps. They used it to find their way back out to the road. He said a gps will be his next purchase. Even if he does know the woods like the back of his hand
(in the daylight).

#6 ·

I'm on a lease in Liberty. There is a map on a bulletin board right on camp road. Its marked with everyones spot, numbered and gps. We put a golf tee in the number slot next to the map you are hunting. So if you don't come back we can look at the board and see who and where you are hunting. Pretty good idea. Its 6000 acre papermill lease, so its pretty big. Some of ya'lls camp should do this. As soon as I hit the lease my nextel is out.

#7 ·
Great planning on ya'lls part. My lease butts up to my propety and well marked trails lead to all stands that are named. But, I still have a map at home with stands marked on it so in case of an accident. I mark my spot, then I'm off.
Hotrod said:
I'm on a lease in Liberty. There is a map on a bulletin board right on camp road. Its marked with everyones spot, numbered and gps. We put a golf tee in the number slot next to the map you are hunting. So if you don't come back we can look at the board and see who and where you are hunting. Pretty good idea. Its 6000 acre papermill lease, so its pretty big. Some of ya'lls camp should do this. As soon as I hit the lease my nextel is out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.