2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

East Texas Deer Lease Report

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Psycho Trout 
#1 ·
1400 acres of mainly pine plantation with hardwoods along the creeks in northwestern Polk County. Bucks are still chasing does, although the rut seems to be winding down somewhat. Hunted Friday pm, Saturday, and Sun. am. Saw 5 different bucks and about 14 does for the weekend. Sunday morning was ideal, about 35 degrees and dead calm . . . a great morning to be in the stand.

Take care and be safe.

#3 ·
There are definitely big deer in this part of the state, but there is so much cover it seems to be more difficult to hunt IMO than other areas. If you don't get your buck by Thankgiving in East Texas it get's pretty tricky. On our property the big ones seem go nocturnal after the first month of the season.

#11 ·
The Carmona ranch was just a big pine tree farm in east texas.
Nothing special except its size (7000 acres). NO high fence, No game management except for what the hunters did. But it produced the most unusual non-typicals you'll ever see in E.Tex.
The owners only cared about the pine trees not the deer.
We struggled to plant food plots as every open spot they planted a bbunch of pines trees in.
The deeer were a bi-product to them, and treasure to us.
What I saw come off of that place would blow your hair back as I've not seen anything like it else where in E.Tex.

And believe me it was kept a secret, poaching was bad enoung.

#14 ·

I Polk close to Liberty Co. I hope something like that pokes his head out on our papermill lease. My buddy says huge deer in these woods just nobody gets into them to hunt em. Everybody has road blinds. He's in the woods and I'm with him.

#15 ·
Sounds very familiar! Just about all of the stands on our lease are on the roads or right-of-ways. Get off the roads and into the woods and we see a lot more deer . . . and don't think for a minute that the bigguns don't know where every box blind is on the lease. Unless they are all jacked up on a doe they won't go near a box blind in the daylight.

Kind of ironic that most of the big bucks are harvested during the rut. I guess the judgement of males of all species can take a nose dive when we are under the influence of the females (grin).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.