2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

7 Mag???????

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  saintsfan 
#1 ·
Sometime in the past week or so there was a post within a thread, that I cannot find:headknock , where someone made a comment about 7 Mags not knocking down a deer and several had been lost on their ranch. Another poster chimed in and said they have seen/heard similar tales of hunters loosing deer to a 7 mag after they've been shot. Does anyone recall that thread or have some knowledge of the 7 Mag not keeping a deer down????? Maybe it had to do with the bullet they were using? But I recall the issue was more the caliber and not the load or bullet. Help!

The 7 mag has been a caliber that I was thinking of adding to my collection, but those statements really got me to thinking.

Who has a 7 mag, and what are y'alls comments and experience with the caliber?

Thanks for your comments in advance!

#4 ·
JDog, Woody, you guys are right. I went back and read that thread again. Some how scanning through it one time my mind told me that it was the problem was the caliber and not the ammo. Reading it again set me straight.

Do you guys prefer a 7 mag over a .300? I've got a brother and friends that have both so I'm always on the fence. And they would be considered for Noroth American game only.

Thanks Guys!

#5 ·
I replied to the post and I shoot a 7mmag. The problem I had was with shot placment on a quartering towards me shot. I have had 3 deer shot this way with partition, coreloc,and rem. extented range bullets and none have exited the body. They all lodged in the back leg (full body penetration so no complaints there). I have had good success with balistic tips (win supreme) but I don't take quartering toward me shots any more.All these were big bodied east texas deer.
I also bow hunt and have a habit of shooting for the lungs/ribs instead of a shoulder. I've found with the 7 that this leaves a very big hole but the deer still run pretty good due to not hitting any heavy bones. If you do hit the spine or shoulder it will usually flip them a full 180 or more before they hit the ground. When you hit the shoulder it usually destroys the shoulder meat as well, that's why I rib shoot them.
That's my experience but like said above, my problems were with bullet placement.
It's kind of a big caliber for Texas deer but I'm from the school that I'd rather have too much power in case I need it instead of not enough to do a good job.

#6 ·
I think that unless you are after bear , the 7mag is a better choice. Fellow hunter on our lease has a 300 and says it is way too much rifle for whitetails. That may or may not be true, but if you shoot one you could develop a flinch and hearing problems. I shoot the 7 Rem mag. Friend has the 7mm STW. The 7mm ultra mag is a really hot flat shooting round. From varmits to elk the 7 mag has a bullet for the job and power to push it down range. I chose the rem mag because it is a tried and true caliber. A box of cartridges cost less than $30.00 and are easily available. My rifle shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. I have had no lost deer since I started shooting it, and I am really confident in its ability to make a clean kill. No matter what your choice, get a rifle that has a good trigger. The 7-9 lb. factory pull on many production rifles is ****, and a reason for many bad shots and wounded animals. Just my .02

#8 ·
Personal Choice

I had to make the same choice just this year. I bought a .300 WM b/c quite frankly I've always wanted one. Sure, it's "too much gun" for whitetail but the first does I shot with it had minimal meat loss and she ran 30-50 yards just like when I shoot them with a .30-06. When I go on my elk hunt (dreaming here, but what they hey!) I'll be set with my .300. But then again, I imagine a 7mag is enough for elk as well.

With all of that said, I bought my .300 in a Sendero and I'm a big man so recoil isn't too much of an issue. If you're a small guy or want a light rifle I sure don't think a .300 is a good choice for you.

Another thing to consider is what other guns you have. If you have a .270 or .30-06 already in your collection than a 7mag probably has a bit too much overlap. In that case you might consider an even bigger rifle just so that you have the "upper end" covered. Again, all personal preference.

Chuck Hawks has an interesting article on building a rifle battery. Basic theory is to have overlaps in all your weapons. I.e. if you have a .30-06 get a .243 since it can serve as a backup deer rifle and as a lighter almost varmint rifle.

Bottom line though, an '06 a, a 7mag, or a .300 are all plenty of rifle for shooting game in North America. (So what the heck, buy one of all three!)

#9 ·
It's a great Round but you have to chose the proper bullet for the animal....

John

#11 ·
There is a comment about recoil and a big man.

The larger you are the more you feel/stop the recoil. Smaller folks feel the recoil much less than the larger folks do.

7mag is a fine round. 140 X type bullet and you should be set for life.

150 in a 300 win mag are very destructive on deer IMHO. I won't shoot anything less than a 165/8 TSX or 180 or more of other types of bullets.

Best, Jeff

#12 ·
size/recoil

Rost...an interesting comment about "felt" recoil and size of a person. Not sure if it's true, but I can say that in general I'm not recoil sensitive. Now I'm not sure what factors into that, I assumed it's b/c I'm big.

But an interesting theory none the less that you bring up.

#14 ·
rost495 said:
150 in a 300 win mag are very destructive on deer IMHO. I won't shoot anything less than a 165/8 TSX or 180 or more of other types of bullets.

Best, Jeff
I have shot many deer with a 150 grain Winchester Power Point in .300 WinMag and have not experienced the destruction you mention. Honestly, I have a .270 that when shooting 130 grain core-lokt Remington ammo does more damage than the .300... One of the reasons I don't buy any Remy ammo anymore.

#15 ·
If recoil is an Issue spend the money for a Muzzle Brake...

I made one myself and it reduced the Rugar MKII stainless synthetic kick down to close to a 243... But Good Googly Moogly you better have ear plugs!!!!!

John

#16 ·
Haute, maybe the Winny bullets are tougher, but I've experienced much more damage with every 150 bullet I've shot, to include Xs, in our 300 wtbys, than with a heavier bullet. IE exit holes big enough for your fist or larger. They do make an excellent head shooting round though.

Of course it could be the wtby has a tiny bit more speed.

And opinions vary, I want total penetration, stem to stern if needed, and a caliber size or so entry, followed by a quarter size exit. Regardless of bone hit or not hit.

Jeff

#17 ·
Hmmm... the only bullet I shoot thru my .300 is the Winchester power point because it is the one that patterns the best for me. Hard to believe you had that big of an exit wound with the Barnes X with its weight retention. I shot a really good buck with that rifle about 3 seasons ago at 400-425 yards. He never took a step and the exit wound was no bigger than a half dollar. It's all what you like and are confident in shooting really.

#18 ·
Haute, it was in the days before digital cameras, but I'm sure I took a pic. The exit from the 150s also blew the hair off the hide all the way around the exit about 1 inch back from the edge.

Have no clue why it did that, but do know that 150 soft point wtby factory, 150 reload Xs,150 BTs(don't even ask about that dumb stunt), 150 sierra BTSP GKs, plus 2 other factory ammo with light bullets were all bad. Explosive almost.

Plus the 150s just don't carry that well at long range where I take shots at times. Blown around by the wind too much.

But its great you found one that works good for you!!

Jeff

#19 ·
I've been shooting a 7mag for over a dozen years now and am quite pleased with it.The bullets I've used the most is the 145gr Speer Grand Slam.They hit very hard,punch right through bones with no problem and they don't destroy an excessive amount of meat.This is a great bullet for deer and hogs.I tried the 150gr ballistic tip and found them to be way to explosive for me.I tried the 160gr Grand Slam but they seemed like they didn't expand enough on deer.This bullet should be good for animals up to the size of elk.This year I loaded up some 140gr Nosler Accubonds.They shoot really great.Hope to try them out soon.The 7mag has filled my niche and it's the one I like to grab when I go hunting.

#20 ·
JDog,

Interesting article by Chuck,

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifle_battery.htm

As I have a .22, .243, and .270, Chucks telling me I may need another CXP3 rifle.... But what he really told me is I don't have the CXP2 area covered. Maybe I need to start thinking about a .223 or .22-250???:D I had a 30-06 at one time, but it was a Rem. Woodmaster semi-auto that I got rid of.

I would like to make a Mule Deer and Elk hunt in the future and would like a Magnum caliber. According to Jack O'Connor, I'm all ready covered with the .270 because that was his favorite Elk rifle.

Lot's of good info guys, keep it coming.

#22 ·
Remington 7 mag model 700 loaded with 160gr. Federal Nosler Partition bullets. Has knocked down deer so hard you can see a dust cloud. It's all about shot placement. Love that recoil.

#23 ·
FishDaze,

That's the article I'm talking about. Hawks is a bit conservative and I like big guns and big booms. So even though my .270 and '06 could kill anything in NA a .300 winny appealed to me.

But I sure do want a .22-250 on the low end as well!

IMHO, if you have a .270, I'd go with a .300 for your magnum gun. .270 is an awesome deer caliber and then your .300 could cover the upper end. But you sure can't go wrong with a 7mag either. I just think it's capabilities are too close to what your .270 does.

But like I said, you sure can't ever have enough guns!

#24 ·
I have had a problem with Federal Premium Nosler Partition on whitetails. They don't leave a good blood trail on a double lung shot. The deer don't get very far, maybe 20 yards max. But, it can cause a little havoc if take the shot on the last minutes of an evening hunt and it crashes in heavy brush.

I love the caliber myself. Flat, hard hitting, versitile, and fast. I am going to try the new Fusion bullets by Federal. They are designed specifically for whitetail.

Check this out:
http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/carlson_fusion/10201/Fusion+-+The+ultimate+deer+bullet%253F.shtml

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/fusion.html

#25 ·
JDog said:
FishDaze,

IMHO, if you have a .270, I'd go with a .300 for your magnum gun. .270 is an awesome deer caliber and then your .300 could cover the upper end. But you sure can't go wrong with a 7mag either. I just think it's capabilities are too close to what your .270 does.
JDog, that's what I was thinking. With Chuck's logic it makes more scents to go with the .300........ but I can't get the 7 mag out of my head. And I agree that you can never have enough guns. I do love my .270, and would never get rid of it.

Very interesting to hear what you guys are shooting in your 7 mags also.

Redfishr - Did you take that bull of a mule deer with the 7 mag????

#26 ·
JDog said:
FishDaze,

That's the article I'm talking about. Hawks is a bit conservative and I like big guns and big booms. So even though my .270 and '06 could kill anything in NA a .300 winny appealed to me.

But I sure do want a .22-250 on the low end as well!

But like I said, you sure can't ever have enough guns!
Ditto on all that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.