2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

My Weekend Report

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Chunky 
#1 ·
Really wish one of you guys could have made the trip with me this weekend. I know it was short notice and all, but I did have my fingers crossed.

Anyway got up there about 11 Friday morning and got the feeders filled and did the triming at the one stand to open some more shooting lanes.

My neighbor stop by on his 4 wheeler and carried some of the corn out to the far feeder. Man that was some big help in itself.

Got back to camp about 2pm and started getting ready for the evening hunt. Showered, fresh camo, and snacked in backpack. Decided to hunt the stand closest to camp for two reasons, its closer in case I shot one, and that is where my son shot his last weekend.

Well I didn't see anything and from the signs I knew I should have hunted the other stand, but if I had they would have been running all over the one I did hunt. That is why I wish some one could have gone with me.

Well the storms hit about 7:30 and I went from having the AC running at camp, to turning the heater on in a span of 2 hours. Man can the weather change fast. I filled my belly with some beef and beens and decided to crawl in bed early so I would be good and fresh for the morning hunt.

Got up at 4am, put some coffee on and hit the shower. Man the hot water felt great, but it sure is cold when you turn off the water. I got the get that shower enclosed and heated.

After some coffee and poptarts I was off to the closest stand again for the same reasons. I was all settled in and quiet by 5:15, which is late for me. At 5:30 there was movment over near the feeder. It was too dark to see shapes but there was movement, followed be the crunching sound of corn being eaten.

At about 5:45 I caught movement off to my left, and heard the buck grunt at what I felt were does at the feeder. The crunching stoped and so did the movement. Then I caught the movement again off to my left and it moved on down the trail towards the feeder. At least one of the deer at the feeder started eating again as the crunching once again started.

As the Buck passed through on of my shooting lanes I tried to get him in the scope. All I could see was a large mass, and hoped it would get light faster. Seemed it was taking its good ole time, but that might have been due to some clouds still around.

Once the buck makes it to the feeder there is a bunch of racket and noises for a minute or two then all the movement stops and it got quiet. 10 minutes later when it is light enough to see, there is no deer in sight.

Sat in the stand until 8 and saw nothing else. Man what seemed to be a promising start turned into nothing. Did take a walk over to the other stand and found that the deer had been walking in all direction around it. All of the tracks were fresh, or had been left after the rain had stopped. Also found that it looks like the hogs have found the feeder back there, so pork is now on the menu.

Too bad, can't go next weekend. My wife has a trail ride and I need to support her with that. After all the things she puts up with me doing (hunting and fishing) it is her turn.

Hope everyone had a safe weekend with lots of deer.

Derek

See less See more
#9 ·
Haute Pursuit said:
Better luck next time... still it is great to be in the woods and get that adrenaline pumping when you see or hear something near you ain't it?
I think the ole adrenaline surge is even worse when you know he is there but can't see him. Lets just say I passed my stress test this weekend.......:biggrin:

#11 ·
activescrape said:
Sure do regret not being able to take you up on the offer, sounds like a great place.
Lets just say it is getting there, still a while before we get everything the way I want it from a hunting standpoint. But heck its fun, I can hunt while I'm working on it. Hope to get things set up good enough to have an East TX gathering there one of these days.

#12 ·
That was great write up, let me give you my weekend.
I too would loved to have gone with you, but had promised my older daughter (17) to take her to the lease.

She sits in the bow stand, I sit in the box blind approx 100 yards away with the video and binos. She has a radio and an ear plug, so that I can judge the deer and give her the green light if it old enough to be shot on our lease.

Friday evening, we saw only 6 pigs and they did not present a shot. Spooky of the feeder and passed by in the heavy brush. Someone shot 3 there the previous weekend, and I suspect that is why as the wind was perfect.

Sat morning was just like you described. Feeder ran a 7 and it was still dark because of cloud cover. As soon as I could make out shapes I saw a deer was under the feeder. I could tell it was a buck with a hugh body, but could not judge anything else. By shooting light, he was gone. Two other bucks came in, a 3 yr old 10 pointer in the 130 class with dark antlers...too yount to shoot, and a 3 year old 8 pt with a funky rack. I told her to shoot the 8, and then I said wait....let me look again. By the time I determined it was indeed a buck that should be taken, it was too late. All my fault, she will be glad to tell you.

Sat evening, only a pig in the distance. The mornings were much better.

Sun. morning....back to the same stand with a contract out on the 8 pt. He has white antlers, 4 in brows, 10 in g2s, 8 in g3s, but the main beams turn hard in just past the g3s and almost touch in the middle. From the front and back he looks good, from the side he looks very narrow.

I set the feeder to run 15 min later. It goes off and I see deer coming in. There are 4 bucks all small but.... wait what is that....that deer looks BIG. I tell DJ, hold on a 10 pt is coming in and he may be a trophy....I get the binos up and swallow hard. He is a 150s class perfect 10 with a huge body. I age him at 5. I tell her "kill him if you can....shoot that 10". I video and watch for the next adrendline filled 30 minutes. I am shaking and I am not even the one with a bow in my hand. I see the deer spook a little and hope see shot him. I call her on the radio.......no, one of the smaller bucks caught her trying to draw. She later told me that she tried to draw 3 different times. While she has had many successes with her bow, she only has one deer, a doe. This would have been her first buck, and what a deer it would have been. Ah well, that is bowhunting, all the excitement and little on taxidermy :)

I am sorry there is no kill on the end of this report, but maybe next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.