2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

25-06 ammo

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Woodrow 
#1 ·
I have two 25-06's,one is a model 700 ss that I deer hunt with and the other is a Sendero that my dad left me when he passed.I would like to use the Sendero as a varmit gun with a light long range(300-400 yrds)bullet.What factory ammo would do the deed on a yote at 400 yards?

#2 ·
Morning capt...I shoot the Stainless Sendero myself in 25.06. The 25.06 by nature does not like anything under 100gr, it just won't hold a pattern beyond 200. I shoot the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 115gr, and the Hornady 117gr ballistic tips. I spend plenty of time on the bench and have tried all sorts of ammo, these two work very well. I can testify to performance beyond 300yds, 25.06 gets the job done.

#3 ·
I've had my Sendero in 25-06 for years. When it was new Federal Premium Ballistic tip patterned best in it. I don't remember the grain of the bullet. I bought 8 boxes of the same run and still have a few left. I guess I will have to reevaluate after these are gone. Many years ago I took a spike buck at 427 walking steps. I have checked my times and my steps average 34". My math has it at a little over 400 yards. Last weekend I dropped a coyote at 227 yrds according to the range finder. I looked up on Federals web page and if sited in at 200 yards, the bullet I am using is -7" at 300 yards and -17" at 400 yards.
James

#6 ·
I too shoot a Sendero 25-06. I handload the 110gr AccuBond in mine.

Capt.Cook said:
I have two 25-06's,one is a model 700 ss that I deer hunt with and the other is a Sendero that my dad left me when he passed.I would like to use the Sendero as a varmit gun with a light long range(300-400 yrds)bullet.What factory ammo would do the deed on a yote at 400 yards?
Just as others have mentioned, any of them will dominate a yote. If the rifle is going to be for yotes, etc only then you can look at the Win or Fed 85gr BT (ballistic tip) or 90gr HP. Neither should be used for deer, but they are made for coyotes, etc. For an all around long range load wushizfishin is using a good one...if a deer or hog stepped out at long range you'd be much better off with the 100gr BT than the 85gr one b/c the 100gr BT is made for shooting deer while the 85gr is made for shooting yotes. If you're faced with a close shot with the 100gr BT I'd try to avoid heavy bone. Oh, and Black Hills also loads the 100gr BT and they are on Cabelas.com.

According to Federal you are only losing 2.5" at 400 yards if you use the 85gr in lieu of the 100gr BT...I'd go with the 100gr BT.

listos? said:
The 25.06 by nature does not like anything under 100gr, it just won't hold a pattern beyond 200.
This isn't a "25-06" problem, it is a rifle problem. The twist rates in factory barrels probably don't match up well with < 100gr bullets, but it is still worth testing if you really want to shoot those bullets.

wushizfishin said:
looked up on Federals web page and if sited in at 200 yards, the bullet I am using is -7" at 300 yards and -17" at 400 yards.
Your Sendero has a 26" barrel and Federal likely tests their ammo in a 24" barrel...so you're likely picking up 50-100 fps. And velocity can vary rifle to rifle for the same ammo, so you can't be certain until you put it on paper...though it does give you a good idea...and from the sound of the spike shot you mentioned you've got one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.