2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Deer Injuries

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  rost495 
#1 ·
Got in a hitch today and want to check what 2coolers think. Can injuries to the testicles of a buck cause strange growth in antlers or is it fiction. Or is it an injury of any part of the body. My boss says I am full of it but I have always been told that injuries to the testicles of a deer will create strange antlers.

#4 ·
the two things that stimulate antler growth in deer are environmental and physiological cues. the environmental cue is the photoperiod, or the amount of sunlight in a day, and the physiological one is testosterone. theoretically, testicular damage that alters testoserone production could alter antler growth.

#8 ·
We mounted 2 different bucks several yrs back that had a 'high squeeky' grunt both had been nuetered somewhat and showed no signs of any kahoneys. The older one was 3 1/2 about a 14" 8pt, the bases were about 8" and heavy to the tips. Thinking I was told by a Bioligist they dont ever shed when this happens and continues to grow. I remember well they looked cancerous, we soaked them dowm with a chemical for horns in velvet then alcohol. WW

#12 ·
Just shot one without testicles last nite. A young buck but I was after meat so thats the way it goes. Hard horned. One spike with a nub at the base. Other spike with 2 nubs at the base, which I never noticed in the frenzy to get the shot before he was gone again.

No sign of testicles at all. No prior damage thatI could see.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.