2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Duck hunting on the WMA at Choke Canyon

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  S-3 ranch 
#1 ·
Anyone have some advise on hunting here?

I'm thinking about going down Sunday early.

thanks,

#3 ·
You probably know this

You need a special permit to hunt there. Hunted there last year and had a great hunt but I hear there is much more water in the lake now. Tons of pintails last year and plenty of mottled ducks so you will have to be careful with the new limit system. Good luck.

#4 ·
Hate to say it Johnny, but many duck hunters are gun shy when it comes to posting hot, warm, or even luke-warm public locations online.

All it takes is a single "we-got-six-man-limits-Saturday-and-Sunday-at __________(fill in public land here) and next thing you know...well, you get the picture.

As mentioned above, if you choose to hunt ducks at Choke, even if launching a boat to do so, the TPWD permit is needed. Also, from personal experience, know that the possibility is good that your party will be checked by a game warden. More than likely he or she will check to see if each hunters birds are separated.

Re: Johnboat--actually, there's a lot less water in the lake now compared to this time last year. Approximately 4-5 feet less.

Regards,
SH

#5 ·
go all the time " hell it is the only place near SA" we go in on the north ramp near I 37 lots of flooded timber up there just follow the river channel till you find a spot , ever better is to check it out day before and find you a spot as it can get croweded on week ends !!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.