2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Anyone else New Mexico Bound?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  elkhunter49 
#1 ·
Me, my father-in-law, and one of my brother-in-laws are headed to New Mexico on 10-30 to try and take a mule deer (season 11-3 thru 11-5). We're hunting in unit 34 in the Lincoln National Forrest near Cloudcroft. Anyone else from around here hunt mulies up there?

#5 ·
Sorry

Some of us have to stay here and work while you get to go hunt the mulies. Don't shed any tears though, me and Mo' will kill a few things for you while you are gone. Somebody better bring back some antlers this time, even if you have to cut them off a road kill. Check state regulations prior to doing that....would'nt want u to break any state OR federal game laws.....good luck.

#8 ·
Stubby, you and that outlaw do anything y'all want while I'm gone, but stay out of Goliad County. Tell Chopsaw I'll take good care of that rangefinder and I'll do my best in the way of sausage.

Elkhunter, the area you mention sounds closer to where we hunt...I just didn't think anyone would know where Mayhill was and especially not Weed. We stay in Cloudcroft the first night and then go back to mayhill and take one of the roads up in the mountains from there. Gonna be a bit chilly in the tent this year.

#9 ·
Hello HR, Yea that's not an area that get's alot of attention around here.
I've hunted the first rifle season in that unit several times with the last time
being 2000. I think the key to sucess is to get at least 5 or 6 miles away from
the roads. The deer/elk don't take long to figure out that ATV= danger.
Good Luck on your hunt and let us know how you did. Baker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.