Sotol Walking Stick - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Wood Turning & Wood Working Forum

Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Registered Users-pm+

yep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateeryep has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Sotol Walking Stick

Need some advice, I don't know a thing about woodworking, treating wood, etc. I have the stalk of a Sotol plant and want to make a walking stick with it. It is still green (cut it down last Friday), how long should I dry it out (if at all), do I need to sand it down, what is a good stain and lacquer to coat/waterproof it with? Where can I get the metal that goes on the tip (similar to a cane)?
Sorry, lots of questions I know, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 AM
El Viejo

Tortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to Pirate
"Each Sotol Hiking Staff is hand selected, carefully cleaned, dried and sanded, finished with a smooth lacquer coat and fitted with long-life rubber tip, leather wrist strap and descriptive hang-tag.ΒΆ
Most have a slight natural bow to them"

also.....

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/archiv...p/t-43031.html

Last edited by Tortuga; 07-30-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
I'm not familiar with Sotol but for my pecan and myrtle sticks I scraped them when green to remove the bark then let them dry for about a year. After drying I then cut/wittled any knobs off (from branches, etc) then lightly sanded to eliminate any marks from my earlier scraping. I then applied multiple coats of tung oil -- 7-8 coats -- drying time between coats.
They are both still holding up very nicely. The pecan will eventually become a 'cane' should I ever need one..............lol
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM

bill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Pirate
All the sticks I've carved were dry, so no help but would guess 6 months to a year. I carved the misty mountain men or "Spirit Sticks".
Just shape them out with a knife, then I use a dremel for the face and finish up with sandpaper and lacquer

When it comes to the tips, just get them off ebay
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/walking-stick-tips