Deep hole in a River - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum

Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
JW yellaboat
1969 SeaCraft

JW yellaboat is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Deep hole in a River

What causes a deep spot in a river to persist year after year? Underground spring? River is about 6-10 feet deep but this one spot drops to 25 and has been that way for years (straight section of river).

The area gets a lots of day time recreational boat traffic and I have never seen anyone fish the area.

I am thinking about a night trip, to try for some catfish, live and cut perch for bait.

Any advice on bait and rigging is appreciated.

JW
JW yellaboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Bankin' On It
Registered Users-pm+

Bankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to Pirate
Could be a geologic thing. Maybe there's a strata of sand that washed out. Many strata are slanted so it could be the terminating point of one. Since it is a straight section I wouldn't think scouring alone would do it. Might be a sedimentary change in the soil below that revealed a softer material that washed out.

My second guess is lasers.
Bankin' On It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Maybe a fold in the earths crust that is my laymen s answer to the deep hole, one that let the soft top layer erode away and left the deep buckle to make the hole.
For fishing at night: No light if you can and sit low to the bank do so as to not cast a shadow over the rim Make little noise as possible, use as light as tackle as possible and live bait. Small to large sunfish. Cast some out as far as you can, and bring the others to cover the water column up to 10' out. A Carolina rig or a Texas T will catch fish.
The shovel heads might come up to feed while you are there and make for a great R&R catch. Just about any thing can happen in a spot like that. Big gar, drum,and big cat fish of any kind like to feed on the edge of a deep hole of the river at night, especially on a rise.
BOI, lasers??? That is funny, I wanted to tell you that I caught a small Yiper Bass below the dam yesterday. No pictures however.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
CatfishStalker
Registered Users-pm+

CatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of RiggerCatfishStalker has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369153154.134653.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  30.6 KB
CatfishStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Whitebassfisher
WBF ..... Addicted to Slabbin'

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
I don't claim to know what causes them, but I have found similar places on the Trinity above the lake. I trust the depth finders I have used when I went over them, and the current did crazy things at those points. I visualized cliffs under water.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Sunbeam
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL

Sunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to Pirate
Giant snapping turtles will hollow out a deep burrow in the river bed. They lay in wait there for boats carrying loads of juicy fishermen to venture too close.

Seriously, I don't have a clue.
Sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Bankin' On It
Registered Users-pm+

Bankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to Pirate
I bet it was a hybrid with a shovel.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Bankin' On It
Registered Users-pm+

sorry. I couldn't stop myself.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
hopn
He is a Fisher of men, I've been fished.

hopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Piratehopn has been promoted to Pirate
Don't quote me on this, but I think it's a combination of under water current, sand/mud, one too many river creatures digging the area. Normally current will fill the hole up, but if creatures keep digging into it, then the hole will continue to get larger or stay it's current size.
hopn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
FISHROADIE
All men are equal before fish

FISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to PirateFISHROADIE has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4

I know the hole I have caught nice flatheads at night there. I lost a very nice pole and real, there one night. It took off like a rocket and bent the pole holder right over, and the pole shot out and was gone. It was a big fish, I used live bream. There is a lot of clay in the hole I think it feel out in chunks over the years and was washed away. Just my theory.
FISHROADIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message