Trolling Motor Lower Unit - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I think I got cabin fever!

SpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to Pirate
Trolling Motor Lower Unit

I had some grinding sounds when running my Minn Kota trolling motor. I decided to open up the lower unit to see what was causing it and found that some of the magnets in the housing had broken off. I found a site online where I can get the parts I need to get her running again but I'm having hell getting the armature housing off. According to the manual it looks like it should just slide off. Any help would be appreciated....Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered Users-pm+

railbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Piraterailbird has been promoted to Pirate
remove the prop and there will be 2 bolts behind the prop. remove them and tap on the housings on each end of the armiture housing. they will loosen as you tap on them. the magnets will hold on like it is bolted in place, but if you pull slowly it should slide out. if you are talking about the brushes, you can likely find them at a alternator repair shop. as for the bearings and motor assemble, i tried to replace the bearings, but my minnkota repair center didn't have them in stock, they said the only way to get new bearings is replace the armiture. Make sure when you put it back in together that you get all the "O" rings in place and the housing tightend back properly. I would suggest you fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and see if air bubbles begin to appear, that will tell you if water is getting by the "O" rings.if you only see bubbles on the skin of the lower end, you are fine. if you see bubbles continuously coming from the seals, pull it back apart and try again. If you don't test it, you could get salt water on the inside and that could be real bad for it.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM
I think I got cabin fever!

SpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to PirateSpoonFedRed has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks, Railbird....