2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Spoonies make a hunt!!

2K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  TatterTot 
#1 ·
Hunted yesterday and we had a great hunt. Coulda, shouda, woulda,.....Ended 2 shy of a 3 man limit. We had birds ALL in the dekes before LST....decided we better stay legal. Once LST time came, we had a group of 4 mallards working. As they swung over our left shoulder from behind us, I saw a fat greenhead and couldn't let them swing out anymore. We only got 1 out of that group and I got in trouble for it!
There were THOUSANDS of spoonies coming in huge groups of 50-100 today. Not sure where they are coming from but it was a beautiful sight to see even though they were spoonies! Oh yeah, we also shot some GW teal and a BEAUTIFUL bufflehead.

See less See more
#13 ·
Like Bull said, you must not know how to cook duck if you can't make a spoony palatable. I disagree with them being as good as teal (teal are a special duck IMO), but it's been my experience that I can't tell them apart from similar sized puddle ducks. I've had very few that were bad tasting, and just as many gadwalls and mallards that were.

#16 ·
I agree about the mergs James! lol

You can add buffleheads and goldeneye to that list as well. I stopped shooting buffies cause they are STOUT! I won't take another until I'm ready to mount one, cause they are definitely beautiful birds. The next GE I get will also go on the wall... not in the pot!

#23 ·
Nice one James H.

Hey potato, welcome to the board and ease up on the elitist view. You couldn't tell the difference between a spoonie and a gadwall or widgeon on a plate in front of you. And don't try to tell us you can, because I have proven you duck snobs wrong too many times to count. You surely showed your Cordon Bleu background though by telling us all that the sky carp are good eating. UUMMM whens dinner at your house.

#24 ·
True dat.

deke said:
You couldn't tell the difference between a spoonie and a gadwall or widgeon on a plate in front of you........You surely showed your Cordon Bleu background though by telling us all that the sky carp are good eating. UUMMM whens dinner at your house.
You can't tell one flying liver from another, that's a fact. At least you realize that geese are far superior on the plate to any duck that flies. :wink:

#26 ·
There is a difference between them, it depends on where you shooting them at... if they are in Rice or grain then they are usually ok...Here is how to tell if a Spoonie is gonna be fishy or not. It's easy...When you're cleaning, if the breast has yellow or white fat it will be fine like any other Duck, if it looks red and no light colored fat then It will rot out a cast iron skillet. Works everytime, if you get a fish eater you will know the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.