Shark Fishing setup - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board

Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Sum Beach

surfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Pirate
Question Shark Fishing setup

What's the best shark fishing setup for 4-8 ft sharks? I saw one post that said typicaly for sharks we use around 4 shark rods with penn 9/0's & 12/0 reels. Reels are loaded with 80-100# line and have 1-2 large circle hooks baited with sting ray, mullet, jacks, etc. A 8-16oz spider weight is used to hold the bait in place. These are kayaked out between 500-1000 yards.

Currently, I am limited to casting the guts but was thinking of expanding into deeper waters and bigger gear.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered Users-pm+

WHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to Pirate
I have a 6/0, 12/0, Abu Garcia 10000 big game and a Daiwa Sealine 50. All these reels can handle anything up to 8' and possible bigger if you dont get spooled. The 12/0 is obvioulsy for anything else. You can cast the Abu and sealine pretty far but i usually yak them out to the second or third gut. The 6/0 and 12/0 i take out 200-600 yards in the yak. I wouldn't mind having a 9/0 as well. But i have my hands full with what i got now.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
You don't need a 12/0 for 4-8, probably not even a 9 but the extra line capacity is nice and in all honesty I've not caught an 8. I've caught an almost 6' on my Daiwa Sealine X 40sha which is nowhere near that capacity and my 6/wides typically handle that size with ease. I can't remember the last time I even deployed the 9/0 but my 4/0 wides are always out. I had 3 but ended up with another 9/0 so sold one and now down to 2 of them. 500-1000 yards out is too far IMO unless the water is super clear on a calm day. I would have to say most of my hookups have come on the front or back side of the 3rd bar. catfishphil's 8' bull came out of the wade gut for example. Use for bait whatever you're catching in the surf that day, whiting and skipjack seem to work fairly well along with chunks of jack. I've put rays out and watched them soak all night long while proceeding to catch several other sharks on other baits so I don't bother with them anymore. The upside for a ray is they won't get crabbed out usually so it's a good bait to put out right before dark if you don't like yakking in the dark.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered Users-pm+

mullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Piratemullethead00 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
You don't need a 12/0 for 4-8, probably not even a 9 but the extra line capacity is nice and in all honesty I've not caught an 8. I've caught an almost 6' on my Daiwa Sealine X 40sha which is nowhere near that capacity and my 6/wides typically handle that size with ease. I can't remember the last time I even deployed the 9/0 but my 4/0 wides are always out. I had 3 but ended up with another 9/0 so sold one and now down to 2 of them. 500-1000 yards out is too far IMO unless the water is super clear on a calm day. I would have to say most of my hookups have come on the front or back side of the 3rd bar. catfishphil's 8' bull came out of the wade gut for example. Use for bait whatever you're catching in the surf that day, whiting and skipjack seem to work fairly well along with chunks of jack. I've put rays out and watched them soak all night long while proceeding to catch several other sharks on other baits so I don't bother with them anymore. The upside for a ray is they won't get crabbed out usually so it's a good bait to put out right before dark if you don't like yakking in the dark.
Great advice JJ. Most people believe further out is better. 200-400yds is where I've had most of my success. I've yet to catch a shark on a ray, but I do keep soaking them bc I know others who swear by them. I use 4/0 and 9/0 Penn Senators. Cheap and effective.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Chris - Lost Boys Outdoors

HuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to PirateHuntinforTail has been promoted to Pirate
penn 6/0 is a good reel for those size sharks, but like many shark fishermen will tell you the sport is very addicting. You might want to go with the 9/0 because a lot of people end up upgrading anyways.

I fish 9/0s mostly on the upper texas coast. I put on 500yrds of braid and top it off with 80lb mono the rest of the way.

JJ is right about most hits comming on the front or back side of the 3rd bar. You don't always have to get it out super far. Just make sure you have enough line left on your reel after your drop so that you don't get spooled on an initial run.

I use a single circle hook no matter how big my bait is. I usually try to have a variety of baits out and they usually consist of what is in the surf at the time. The fresher the better.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mr. Mario has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Good information here on this thread. This is something that I also want to try. The Gulf coast is whole different world than fishing from the coast line back on Oahu.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered Users-pm+

BMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of BosunBMFO has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
I have a PENN Seaboy 185 would this work for sharks in that size range, I don't understand 9/0 12/0
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFO View Post
I have a PENN Seaboy 185 would this work for sharks in that size range, I don't understand 9/0 12/0
My 9/0's for example would be a Senator 115L
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Fish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to PirateFish-a-mon has been promoted to Pirate
I use 4/0 or smaller. You can pretty much catch/land what is in the surf. You will get spooled from time to time but so do the guy using 9/0 and 12/0. Modified 12/0 even get it. There are some fish in the surf that you are not going to turn or stop.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered Users-pm+

WHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to PirateWHAT has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFO View Post

Specs say it holds 400 yards 20lb mono. Should be enough line for the sharks you're after. I would go with 30lb mono and a 60lb top shot.

It just means the different type of penn senators.

4/0 is the Penn Senator 113

6/0 is the Penn Senator 114

9/0 is the Penn Senator 115

12/0 is the Penn Senator 116

14/0 is the Penn Senator 117

16/0 is the Penn Senator 118

We just say 9/0 or 12/0 instead of saying "Penn Senator 115L".