Big bobcats - Centerville, TX - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Old 12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Haze Gray

micklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Piratemicklitz has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianQuest View Post
Nice photos!

About the only harm those bobcats would do would be predication on quail, but quail are pretty much non-existent around Centerville.

From the Texas Mammals website...

"Their food consists mainly of small mammals and birds. The stomachs of 118 bobcats contained the following (expressed in percentages): mammals, 65.8 (44.5 of which were harmful species, 20.5 beneficial, 1.1 neutral); birds (bait), 3.1; fish (bait), 0.6; unidentified foods, 3.1; miscellaneous material (not food), 27.1. Among the mammals, wood rats, ground squirrels, mice, and rabbits supply the bulk of the diet. Although deer occasionally are killed and eaten, most of the deer meat found in bobcat stomachs has been carrion. They also prey upon domestic sheep, goats, and poultry but the damage done is rarely great."

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/lynxrufu.htm

Maybe you could trap them and keep one as a pet.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 AM
W.W.

wet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Piratewet dreams has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by micklitz View Post

Maybe you could trap them and keep one as a pet.
Requires a permit, worked with a guy that kept a few females penned up, he would collect the urine for use in trapping. Spugersalty should remember very well as he was a young kid then and it was a close freind of his dads. You ever tried getting a live mature cat out of a trap>>>you better be ready...WW
Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Youth? No, we need a fountain of smart.

Location: Woodpile/Spurger/Beaumont/Port Anus/Sabine Lake/Dam B
spurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Pirate
Yes sir, the big female actually killed and partially ate the smaller one after a few years.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered Users-pm+

AvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to PirateAvianQuest has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dreams View Post

You ever tried getting a live mature cat out of a trap>>>you better be ready...WW
Just pat its head and say "Nice kitty".......it will be eating off your hand in no time....

You are correct about having to get a special permit to keep one in Texas. Surprisingly, you can keep a wolf without a permit.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered Users-pm+

texas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Piratetexas8point has been promoted to Pirate

Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Location: POC,SPI,Huntsville,Paint Rock, Columbus, Coahuila, Mx.
wampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Nice photos!

About the only harm those bobcats would do would be predication on quail, but quail are pretty much non-existent around Centerville.

From the Texas Mammals website...

"Their food consists mainly of small mammals and birds. The stomachs of 118 bobcats contained the following (expressed in percentages): mammals, 65.8 (44.5 of which were harmful species, 20.5 beneficial, 1.1 neutral); birds (bait), 3.1; fish (bait), 0.6; unidentified foods, 3.1; miscellaneous material (not food), 27.1. Among the mammals, wood rats, ground squirrels, mice, and rabbits supply the bulk of the diet. Although deer occasionally are killed and eaten, most of the deer meat found in bobcat stomachs has been carrion. They also prey upon domestic sheep, goats, and poultry but the damage done is rarely great."

In parts of the state that have a lot of rabbits and other small prey animals they kill less deer. But even in south Texas where there is lots of small prey, they still take mature bucks that are worn out from the rut. In areas such as central and east Texas that do not have a rabbit under every bush, they easyly move up tp deer, especially fawns and yearlings. I have shot em chasing young deer and when I have been a little slow on the trigger, while they are dragging a still kicking deer off. I have been called out to ranches that have lost almost all thier fawn crop to bobcats, after killing a dozen or two the fawn production returns to normal.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Location: POC,SPI,Huntsville,Paint Rock, Columbus, Coahuila, Mx.
wampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Piratewampuscat has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dreams View Post
Its you and the OP needs several dirtholes with a # 3 Victor coilspring set in front of each.....WW
Nothing wrong with the #3 victor, I have caught tons of yotes and cats in em, but now when I order new traps, I get the #4 sleepy creek. Less toe catches and a great trigger.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Old Man

RogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Nice photos!

so - since quail are "pretty much non-existent" and given the drought conditions of the past year - are you saying the wood rats, mice, birds, are the reason these two are so healthy? - just askin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuscat View Post
In parts of the state that have a lot of rabbits and other small prey animals they kill less deer. But even in south Texas where there is lots of small prey, they still take mature bucks that are worn out from the rut. In areas such as central and east Texas that do not have a rabbit under every bush, they easyly move up tp deer, especially fawns and yearlings. I have shot em chasing young deer and when I have been a little slow on the trigger, while they are dragging a still kicking deer off. I have been called out to ranches that have lost almost all thier fawn crop to bobcats, after killing a dozen or two the fawn production returns to normal.
true enough - I've seen bobcat take up a position near a feeder to try and jump a young fawn or yearling deer. I sat and watched one in a tree, near a feeder, in South Texas, pass on squirrels, rabbits, birds and racoon - A young yearling came into the area and before the cat could pounce I shot it. Not a very good shot I'm afraid. I hit it, it hit the ground, rolled and took off. we looked for it but never found it in that brush.

bobcat and coyote both have been known to decimate fawn crops. Now with this drought, I would find it very difficult to believe that rats, mice, squirrels and sparrows will keep them alive.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Old Man

RogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to PirateRogerB has been promoted to Pirate
and just for the sake of comparison:
Quote:
Pronghorn fawns, however, are extremely susceptible
to predation, especially by coyotes. In the Hudspeth County
study, 80% of 101 fawns were taken by predators over 3 years.
Of these, 66 were taken by coyotes and the remainder by bobcats,
golden eagles, and lions. Results of the study indicate
that in declining populations or in populations below carrying
capacity, intensive coyote control, especially prior to fawning
season, can significantly increase fawn survival, and thus more
rapidly restore populations to desirable levels.
Quote:

CONCLUSIONS

Predation by mountain lions, bobcats, and coyotes in
the Texas Trans-Pecos continues to be a significant factor affecting
big game and livestock,

so it depends on the study, the location, the food supply.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Josh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to Pirate
TX8Pt- great pics and a great ad for CuddeBack. They have great triggerspeed, just too expensive.

OP- those are some huge cats. Goodluck getting some. It surprises me for some reason how many daytime pics I (and others) get of the cats .