Jon boat for 3-4 people (suggestions) - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
aka: KSims1868

BlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to PirateBlueWaveCapt has been promoted to Pirate
Jon boat for 3-4 people (suggestions)

My buddy at work wants to get a little boat for him and his son (prob his fath-in-law too) to all fish out of. They've used a canoe but finally admit that is NOT very safe...or fun...now that his 14 yr old son is pretty much as big as any full grown adult.

He was looking at 14' jon boats with trolling motors. I'm suggesting he look at larger boats (16-18'). He wants it to be a cheap jon boat that he can pull with his Honda Accord. I think 16' w/ a 5-10 hp motor would work for 3 people to fish occassionally. No jetty fishing obviously, but just go play in clear lake or around some small bays in Dickinson/Tx City area.

What do y'all think?
Is 14' good enough or should he really go with a 16' boat?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Silence is golden but duct tape's silver

Jasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to PirateJasmillertime has been promoted to Pirate
i have a 16' polar craft with a 48 spl on it. we fish and bowfish 3-4 out of it all the time.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Jerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to Pirate
I've had a 14'x48" john and a 16'x48" john. The 16' will work with 3 fine and 4 but will be crowded. My 14' boat was fine with 2, but three was a crowd.

Also, I don't think a 16' will plane out with a 10hp and 1 person, but I could be wrong. maybe bare hull and one guy, but not with all the normal "stuff" we like to put in boats.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Tell him to look at Carolina Skiffs .... the high sides will help and the weight will be about the same.

He can cusomtize the skiff too with a front / rear deck OR simply a bench across

Last edited by Muddskipper; 12-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Swangin' and Bangin'

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
For 3-4 people, nothing smaller than a 16' to fish comfortable, imho.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Jerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddskipper View Post
Tell him to look at Carolina Skiffs .... the high sides will help and the weight will be about the same.

He can cusomtize the skiff too with a front / rear deck OR simply a bench across

The Carolina skiffs I have seen have side height very comparable to an average aluminum john, and the published weight of the J16 is about twice of a 16x48 riveted john...
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Ditto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to PirateDitto has been promoted to Pirate
My friend has a 14' x 52" jon boat with a 20hp mercury that we fish the rivers and San Luis pass in. Does just fine with three of us. And we're all 200 pounds or more. He's 6'4" 250.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddskipper View Post

X2
Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Sow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to PirateSow Trout has been promoted to Pirate
I have a 17' Carolina skiff (extra wide) with a 35hp Evinrude and a almost new trailer that I will let go real cheap. I am just paying for indoor storage and never use it.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered Users-pm+

dicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Piratedicklaxt has been promoted to Pirate
Get the 17' Carolina,,,fishing 3-200 pounders inj a 14' Jon is a train wreck waiting to happen IMO.

dick