How do I bleed air out of my hydraulic steering lines? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Bowmaddness is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
How do I bleed air out of my hydraulic steering lines?

Jw wondering how I get te air out if my steering lines
Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

fishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Pirate
Flag Actual bleeding

is done via the bleeding fittings back on the bar mounted on the engine. If you have your owners manual and installation booklet there is a good explanation in it. Otherwise, a simple and quicker way is, with the engine pointing straight forward, open the fill cap on the helm, fill with the manufacturer's suggested fluid to where you can replace cap, and replace it, and tighten it. Turn the wheel to the right and left to the full extent each way. Open cap, and refill, and replace cap. Repeat turning the wheel in both directions. Continue to repeat the process until the system works properly. A seal is compromised in your system and will eventually have to be replaced. You can buy seal replacement kits or most qualified marine mechanics are practiced at dealing with this issue. I would imagine your manufacturer has information online, as well. The formal manner of bleeding the system is similar, and doesn't take much more time, but requires a couple of tools, etc. to complete. WARNING: do not turn the wheel with the cap off or loose!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Jay-D

get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)get it wet has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Not sure which system you have but here is the link for a seastar.

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/298401-A_12-18.pdf
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Reel Easy

thabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Piratethabeezer has been promoted to Pirate
You need the fill kit for the helm to do it properly...I think it's $20 at West Marine.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM
shake and bake

goodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirate
all true. working on that right now.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 PM
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
bar far the easiest is to get a piece of clear hose from the hardware store that fits the bleed screw, run it into a clear mayo jar

then follow the procedure

it cuts the mess way down and you can re-use the fluid

project is way easier with 2 people