When is it too rough for surf fishing? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board

Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Registered Users-pm+

A Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to Pirate
When is it too rough for surf fishing?

I just check the forcast for galveston area for this week. Looks like 10-20 mph winds and seas between 2-4 ft most of the week. Of course day to day both vary. With the spring fishing busting open all over, I don't want to waste time fishing bad conditions. Is there a wind/sea level that is a no go for surf fishing? Is there a condition that is preferred?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered Users-pm+

scrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Pirate
Depends a lot on target species and how you are fishing. It also depends on wind direction as well as velocity. If the wind is blowing straight onshore or offshore you can fish a stronger wind than a side or quartering. A side or quartering wind creates a longshore current and it is difficult to get baits to stay out.

Generally, I don't surf fish a 20 mph wind. It looks like winds and seas are going to settle Thursday through Friday.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

jc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Pirate
you never know unless you go...

I agree with scrambler, it very much depends on species and fishing tactics... you're not gonna be tossing arties to trout in chocolate 5-7' surf... however, you **** sure might catch some bull reds in those conditions

you are just going to have to figure out what tolerance you have for different conditions... might get more specific answers with more specifics regarding how you fish and what you fish for. Paddling large shark baits? Casting fresh dead shrimp? Looking for trout?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Gods blessings surround us.

bubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Pirate
I would rather try n fish the surf in rough conditions than to deal with that stinky seaweed that can send you packing .I have a 11 ft fenwick yellow heavy for trade for trout reel.And a 4/0 HLW pm me
Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Winter Hater

monkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Pirate
preferred is 5 mph, flat and green to the beach. but sometimes you just have to go and gut it out. might end up drinking beer and sitting in the chair, but it beats most anything else.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
www.FishingScout.com/anglers/Cowboy713

Teamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to Pirate
for me if i cant get a 10oz pyramid weight or an 8oz spider weight to hold on the bottom then i will usually say to heck with the surf, and go fish the pier, or just hang out and relax, for me wind is just one of those things you gotta deal with, as long as you can keep a bait in the water, then its a fishable day
Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered Users-pm+

A Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to PirateA Draper has been promoted to Pirate
I wasn't very specific. Mainly thinking of redfish and drum that sort of thing. Casting from the beach primarily. Take this coming friday for instance wind 10-15 mph from SE and 2-3 seas. Worth a shot or not?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM
www.FishingScout.com/anglers/Cowboy713

Teamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to PirateTeamgafftop13 has been promoted to Pirate
definetly worth a shot, 10-15 mph winds from the south east should be great fishing, i DO NOT like north winds, but that southeast wind should work for you, it will blow the bait fish more into shore thus bringing the game fish in with it, so i would definetly hit up the surf
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

jc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Piratejc has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Draper View Post
I wasn't very specific. Mainly thinking of redfish and drum that sort of thing. Casting from the beach primarily. Take this coming friday for instance wind 10-15 mph from SE and 2-3 seas. Worth a shot or not?
actually sounds really good depending on the tides and water movement
Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Fun with Flags

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Draper View Post

That is a typical forecast for the upper coast. Most any south,east or west wind over 15mph starts to become work. True north wind you can fish easy up to 20mph, blows the surf flat. Any harder than that it is not nice to you on the beach, kinda sand blast you. Further south you go down the coast the harder a norh wind becomes to fish.

There are a lot of factors that come into play, a 15mph wind that changes directions is great fishing. A 15mph wind that has blown the same exact direction for more then a day will build massive surf. The coast of Texas is also the shape of a half moon, so a lot depends on where you are fishing. Sea weed is always a factor, and depth of the beach is also a factor.

My general rule when I was surf fishing all the time was if it the wind under 20mph, under 120 degrees, over 40 degrees, not lightning and no tornadoes. I went fishing, and would just figure it out when I got there.

Good luck, and post a report.