2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

School fund raisers...what does the school benefit?

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Duck 
#1 ·
I have been buying stuff from every kid that knocks on our door for 20+ years. I order from my boys and ask grand moms/dads....but do not knock on doors or ask co-workers to buy.

I buy $200 per year of Boy Scout lawn bags, mulch, popcorn, and Girl Scout cookies (all good stuff), plus another $150 per year of junk from the school.

My real questions is where does the money go in the school and why are our kids being so pumped-up at school to get 5 orders for a $.10 trinket? My son envisions selling $500 worth of goods for a $5.00 XYZ that will break before he gets home from school with it.

As a parent, I would rather make a cash, 100% profit, donation to my kids' schools and be able to opt out of any fund raising tactics (kid extortion) being taught to our kids.

#2 ·
Our PTA has instituted a "just write a check" option the last few years. We used to have a big night with auction, silent raffle for all kinds of baskets, dinner, etc. that would raise $10-15,000. Don't know how the check thing is working out but I can't fathom that it raises 15K. Of course, our population is changing as new neighborhoods go up to the west. Then every group (choir, band, athletics, etc.) has their own "buy some overpriced **** so your kid can win some cheap ****" campaign. All the money goes for good things - sheet music, instruments, risers, uniforms, etc. but it does get old.

#4 ·
I have no problem with PTA silent auctions because that is also 100% profit to the PTA and everyone has a choice to bid or not without kids involved.

Not sure about raising $15K. It would depend on size of the school and bidders. School of 600 students with 50% of students parents donating a check for $50 would do it.

#5 ·
Being a teacher, I'm the first one they hit up. I've got about a 100 year supply of candles I don't even burn. When armageddon hits us, I'll have light to read by though. I bought a little tool kit once from one of those things and it rusted away IN MY TOOL BOX. The easiest thing to avoid is the fund raisers that only sell candy. I look right at the kid and say, "Billy Bob/Janie Jill, do I look like I should have any candy?" They usually laugh and say, "Well, I guess not Mr. Law." :D

I'm with y'all, I'd rather just make a small contribution and not worry about all the trinkets.

Reactions: essayons75
#7 ·
Being a teacher, I'm the first one they hit up. I've got about a 100 year supply of candles I don't even burn. When armageddon hits us, I'll have light to read by though. I bought a little tool kit once from one of those things and it rusted away IN MY TOOL BOX. The easiest thing to avoid is the fund raisers that only sell candy. I look right at the kid and say, "Billy Bob/Janie Jill, do I look like I should have any candy?" They usually laugh and say, "Well, I guess not Mr. Law." :D

I'm with y'all, I'd rather just make a small contribution and not worry about all the trinkets.
That's funny! Green!

#6 ·
we put on some stuff that was self funded thru the FFA, some expense up front , but pretty big returns.

trick is not to try to make all your money in one swoop, if it is a failure, then you might be out big $$$ that you can't afford to lose.

obviously donations for raffles are a big return

#8 ·
I agree, I just write a check and make sure it gets to where it needs to go. I have been hammered from every angle on this.

I have been buying stuff from every kid that knocks on our door for 20+ years. I order from my boys and ask grand moms/dads....but do not knock on doors or ask co-workers to buy.

I buy $200 per year of Boy Scout lawn bags, mulch, popcorn, and Girl Scout cookies (all good stuff), plus another $150 per year of junk from the school.

My real questions is where does the money go in the school and why are our kids being so pumped-up at school to get 5 orders for a $.10 trinket? My son envisions selling $500 worth of goods for a $5.00 XYZ that will break before he gets home from school with it.

As a parent, I would rather make a cash, 100% profit, donation to my kids' schools and be able to opt out of any fund raising tactics (kid extortion) being taught to our kids.

#9 ·
I crossed this bridge from several angles, Boy scouts, Choir, Drama,ect. The different organizations had different funding paths that worked good, (none involved kids selling junk.) For Boy Scouts We asked each parent for $100 per year/ boy if possible. For Choir We did the concessions at the middle school basketball games. (All new choir uniforms in one Basket ball season.) For Drama, I took a photo of the Cast and Crew of each production, and had color copies made for the number of students in the production. Cost $1 sold for $3 ( the drama club did ok).

#10 ·
these are the product of lazy administrators and teachers. these events turn our young children into hustlers & beggars as early as 1st & 2nd graders. looking at a 8 yr old child's face when they got me for a $1 box of chocolate make me worry. i'm willing to donate, pay for supplies .. i just hate to see children being used for profit by companies or because of the lazy adults

#11 ·
With what we pay in school tax I shouldn't be buying anything! However, I do make sure to purchase something from the neighborhood kids. We get hit up at church by the other kids too. Our 7yr old attends a private school and they have $100 opt out fee. I'd much rather pay that then pimp my kid out for some wrapping paper and cookie dough.

#13 ·
I couldn't agree with you more. I feel the same way. I researched about 14 years ago and found out 5 to 10 % of the sales goes to the school. I never allowed my daughters to do it again.

#14 ·
I live in Wimberley. Our local grocery store Brookshire Bros is the worst. Everytime we shop there is some group set up at the front door selling something. Churches, schools, etc. I used to feel guily about saying no, but it is becoming very easy. I wish the store would make these people set their chit up to the side some where. No need to go through this everytime I need to shop.

#19 ·
make up your own fundraisers and use local stuff, this isn't rocket science, you just have to run it by admin. first.

make and sell the kids bfast tacos and an orange juice thru the school as a fundraiser one day a week, beats cokes and cookies

car washes
helper for a day
lawn svc.
detail boats

very little expense

#21 ·
Some of the causes in the schools are worth it, some are not. Ask the kids what they are for and if you want to support them, go ahead.

I like this type of fundraiser the best.

http://www.tabcoupon.com/stock-booklet.htm

It is a tab coupon book that sells for $5. If you use it one or two times (out of about 40 or 50 tabs), you'll have your investment back and then some. I added up all the "value" in one I bought awhile ago and it was over $150 if you used all the different coupons.

There are 3 Mickey D's coupons in the ones my daughter is selling for he pre-school currently. buy one get one happy meal, buy one get one big mac and buy one get one extra value meal. just using the extra value meal one gets you your initial investment back.

It also has local pizza shop coupons, other fast food coupons, bowling alley coupons, car wash coupons, plus a bunch of other stuff. Neighbors love them and constantly ask when we are selling more of them because they are such a great deal and I think the sellers get %50 profit or more on them.

#22 ·
I appreciate it when I see a young person invest time and effort into their cause. When they take the time to deliver a well thought "sales pitch", answer a few questions I may have and put the effort forth to go door to door, etc. I think it's admirable, teaches a good lesson and will all ways try to support them. At least they are putting in time & effort to receive the benefit they are requesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.