Best way to fish live finger mullet in rough surf?? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered Users-pm+

rkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateerrkd has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Best way to fish live finger mullet in rough surf??

What is the best way to rig live finger mullet in the surf? Better to hook them through the back or eyes/nose? I fished yesterday in rough surf so used a 3 ounce spider weight and 2 foot leader.....rig kept getting washed back to shore off to the left by waves...should I have used bigger weight??(I generally wade out, cast, then walk it back to shore and stick in rod holder) Hooked one mullet through the back and it ended up dying quicker than the one I hooked through the eyes. Eye hooked fish stayed lively longer.(I was careful to run hook just forward of the eyes) Neither one got bit in a couple of hours of fishing. Dirty water, big waves and middle of day probably didn't help either.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered Users-pm+

kennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkennyboy has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
tuna Finger Mullet

I hook mine through the lips and they stay pretty lively. I too was down in the surf ot SLP and it was the same. I caught a small croaker, threw it back oiut as bait and even after reeling back in 3-4 times, no bites. It was one messed up Sat. Wish the east wind would come back.

Ken
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Specks&Reds

EchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to PirateEchoDuck Jr. has been promoted to Pirate
I too always hook them through the lips and hardly ever have a problem with them dying on me.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered Users-pm+

SpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to Pirate
We use a 4 to 5 oz spider weight. Seems to work well. Hooked through the eyes. Caught a few nice reds and trout last week in rough surf this way.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby

Fishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to PirateFishin-Inc has been promoted to Pirate
Surf fishing.

It's the weight of the line, and current and size of the bait combined that makes me decide what size weight to use. The pyramids will work a little if you have a calm surf. If not you almost always have to use a spider.
If you are walking your rods back to shore. Look at the stainless weights if you are doing this type of fishing alot. They last for years, sometimes.

I use kahl hooks sometimes small circles. If you're really wanting trout I recomend staying in the water and using a smaller lighter weight.
You will reel in alot less line and catch more fish.. IMO!

Baits hook throught the back will drown for sure eventually.
But they have more immediate action and bites come faster.
If I am wading this is how I do it if I am using any kinds of sinker.
You must have a swivel due to spinning baits!
Lips or eyes and they will last longer. but alot less movement.
I think that encourages slower fish like gafftop and hardheads!

Just my experience.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered Users-pm+

redfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerredfish6547 has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Talking mullet in surf fishing

I see some tourist uaually from San Antonio come down to the coast and use those big surf rods with 2 lb. weights to fish in the bay . When it hits the water it sounds like a depth charge going off . They use those hooks that only a 40 to 50 lb. fish could swallow . Maybe they need to go to the surf to fish .
Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
In the snake den

aggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirate
I use 4/0 and 6/0 reels in bay canals. No kidding.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I LIVE TO FISH!!

tank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Piratetank8677 has been promoted to Pirate
i use 1/2 oz egg sinker with owner 1/0 circle hook fished carolina style..if i was going to work the bottom i will hook thru the lip, but if i was going to let it sit at one spot i hook thru the back just behind the dorsal fin. i have never had them die on me while hooked on the back.