Map of the reef layout in Galveston Bay - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered Users-pm+

19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer19'EXPLOREROWNER has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer
Map of the reef layout in Galveston Bay

Im trying to find a map of the reef layout for the Galveston Bay area on the computer. Does anybody know were to find one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Registered Users-pm+

apslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirateapslp has been promoted to Pirate
google earth is a good resource
Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered Users-pm+

duck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirateduck commander has been promoted to Pirate
if you have an iphone or blackberry get Navionics only $9.99
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Registered Users-pm+

liquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I can't find navionics for blackberry if you have a link would you please post it? Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Just Keep 10

JJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to PirateJJGold has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by apslp View Post
google earth is a good resource
The East Bay reefs don't show up real well.

What I've done in the past is load the GPS coordinates from a TopSpot Map in to Google Earth.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 AM

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Oyster reefs come and go

The maps you are looking for are in a book called "Galveston Bay Oyster Reef Survey:" done by the Galveston Bay Estuary Program. The document is located at gbic.tamug.edu/gbeppubs/50/gbnep_50_cover-contents.pdf

The map is available at http://coastal.tamug.edu/gis/index.html

I found these maps when I was doing research before making my DVD "Speckled Trout Intensive Training DVD Series - Find the Fish Catch a Limit"

After talking to Oyster Sam (DR. Sammy Ray) an old timer PhD Oyster man at TAMU Galveston) I abandoned remapping the reefs myself. Apparently they stay in the same general area but constantly move. According to Oyster Sam it only takes about 3 months for a new reef to form; all it needs is a little subtrate such as old shell, rock, hard clay, or huricane, debris and voila. Then once formed they can be harvested by oyster boats and be gone ...so knowing exactly where the reefs are only helps a little. What counts is knowing how to work slicks so you can find the trout everyday. That is what my DVD ended up focusing on. I made tons of graphics to discuss how to fish slicks under different tides and wind conditions so you can always find the fish. The preview of the DVD is click here

I offer it with a money back guarantee and no one has returned one yet.

Good luck, hope this helped. http://www.troutsupport.com
Tobin
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 AM

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
This should open up a few more spots for most of us to fish right?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Mike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to PirateMike77015 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
The maps you are looking for are in a book called "Galveston Bay Oyster Reef Survey:" done by the Galveston Bay Estuary Program. The document is located at gbic.tamug.edu/gbeppubs/50/gbnep_50_cover-contents.pdf

The map is available at http://coastal.tamug.edu/gis/index.html

I found these maps when I was doing research before making my DVD "Speckled Trout Intensive Training DVD Series - Find the Fish Catch a Limit"

After talking to Oyster Sam (DR. Sammy Ray) an old timer PhD Oyster man at TAMU Galveston) I abandoned remapping the reefs myself. Apparently they stay in the same general area but constantly move. According to Oyster Sam it only takes about 3 months for a new reef to form; all it needs is a little subtrate such as old shell, rock, hard clay, or huricane, debris and voila. Then once formed they can be harvested by oyster boats and be gone ...so knowing exactly where the reefs are only helps a little. What counts is knowing how to work slicks so you can find the trout everyday. That is what my DVD ended up focusing on. I made tons of graphics to discuss how to fish slicks under different tides and wind conditions so you can always find the fish. The preview of the DVD is click here

I offer it with a money back guarantee and no one has returned one yet.

Good luck, hope this helped. http://www.troutsupport.com
Tobin
I know of a whole lot of reefs that are not on that map. How old is that?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered Users-pm+

liquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerliquid2 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
How much shell do you need to consider an area a reef?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM

It was first done in 1975... remapped in 92 if I recall. Yes, there is a lot of shell not on the map... that's why it's not remapped more often nor why anyone makes a detailed map of it. It forms, it's harvested, hurricanes happen, etc.

How much shell is considered a reef... nothing specific, but I doubt they worried about small sections of reef less than 10meter' diameter.

I know that since Ike there has been some remapping...not sure if it's complete yet.