2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Whats the best OnBoard Charger?

10K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Muddskipper 
#1 ·
Ive got a 3 bank onboard charger on my boat but only 1 bank works. So Im ready to buy a new one and Im wondering whats the most reliable brand and where can I find the best deal? Thanks

#2 ·
You always hear that 'you get what you pay for' but I cheaped out and got the cheapest 3-bank charger I could find. It's a Promariner Prosport20 3-bank if I recall and cost $179 six years ago. It's still going strong and I charge batteries 50-75 times a year. I believe its the same as the one Cabelas sells under their brand.

#3 ·
I went through 4 Pro mariner Prosport 2 bank chargers in 3 years, the warranty replaced all of them which is good, however I bought a Minikota just to see how that would work as I got tired of shipping the defective chargers back to Pro mariner. Good luck.

#6 ·
I bought the BPS brand for 159, plus the 2yr extended warranty (mabye 30?), my first one went bad a little past the two year mark and so I took it to BPS and the manager in the refund area said, sure no problem, go pick up another one (didnt even ask for my sales ticket) its cheaper than the competitors and with BPS being so close its a easy replacement with no shipping and hassles. Needless to say Ive stuck with the charger and shop at BPS whenever I can, Ill pay a bit extra for that kind of customer service.

#10 ·
guest chargers are potted and not repairable. they do honor the warranty, but its a throw away the day your warranty expires. dual pro chargers are more expensive, but are totally repairable. their factory is in oklahoma i believe. last charger i sent back for repair had a turnaround time of less than 24 hours. with the price of batteries these days, i'll gladly spend extra on a quality charger to extend the life of my batteries.

#13 ·
I'd put my hard earned money on the Battery Tender brand. I have a Promariner Prosport20 3-bank that went bad once already and got it replaced under warranty.

I've had a 2 bank Battery Tender for over 5 years with any issues. They have a 4 bank model that I'm saving up to get to replace the Promariner Prosport20. Search around on the web for Battery Tender and you can find a good price on them. You can also get extensions too.

JR

#14 ·
x2 on the Battery Tender... I have two, and just had the first one **** out after about 8 years of constant use. The other is still going strong...

Cheap, small and easy. Plus I used the extra pigtail to rig up my life bait pump! I unplug the charger and plug in my pump, and I'm good to go!

#16 ·
Over the years I've installed many guest 2611 and 2613 models. Never had a customer complain. My brother inlaw still has his 2611 I installed 6 years ago. I think any charger can and will fail depending on how hard you pound the boat and how much enviromental exposure it gets. Actually had a schumacher catch on fire(transformer) in the boat years ago, I won't get another of that brand.

#17 ·
Dual Pro!

I take care of ten bass boats for a private club. We've been through a variety of chargers over the years. The best has been the Dual Pro from Charging Systems out of Tennessee! :flag: 1-800-742-2740 Three year warranty and fast turn around for a repair. They make one to four banks. I have one in ten that actually goes out. The Dual Pro Saltwater series has been in the front of my old Shallow Sport for years and still works. I strongly suggest using a rubber isolator when mounting any charger. It helps with the shock of running across the bay on those really calm days!

#18 ·
Dual Pro is the best, but you $$$ out the *****

I was talking to the guys at Gulf coast trolling motor, and they said the Minn Kotas are the best bang for the buck

I also have had good luck with Bass Pro chargers, when they go out exchange without a reciept no problems .......

Guest are **** - they have cooked to many batteries on me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.