2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

The Boy's Opening Day Hunt

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  General CoolBro 
#1 ·
Took The Boy out to get a deer on opening morning and he got a hog.

We went to the hunters' lunch in Spur and entered him in the big hog contest and planned to get him on one of the big hogs that are wreaking havoc on the milo field we hunt. The last three years, we've shot hogs bigger than what has won the contest, so we were feelin' pretty confident.

While we were watching a major pig trail to the east with the sunset behind us, I heard a noise and turned around to see the head and neck of a buck 20 yards away. Neck swollen, ears laid back. I said "Hey, look!" The Boy said, "Whoa!"

I leaned back and stuck my finger in my ear so he could shoot past me and the deer was gone when I blinked at the shot! WTH!? Ran to the spot and he was on the ground in the milo, shot square in the white throat patch!

I'm a little jealous since I've never gotten a buck that big, but I'm a proud dad and very happy for him.

The deer was hog fat and had a 17'' inside spread and ten points, three of which were broken off from fighting.

I wonder if there'll be anything left for me after the wife and daughter get one?

Lance.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Made a lot of sausage from that hog and my wife made her famous chorizo....about 15 lbs of it! As good as any store-bought stuff, but no orange, greasy mess.

Spent today making about 40 lbs of jerky from that deer. Have I mentioned that we like deer jerky?

Looks like we're about to be the proud owners of a new freezer, too. The old one is FULL!

Lance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.