Gunstock repair - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
reef_runner
Registered Users-pm+

reef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Piratereef_runner has been promoted to Pirate
Gunstock repair

Does anyone know of a place I can take my stock to get it repaired around Angleton/South Houston area? Somehow the stock on my 700 BDL split from right behind the trigger guard down to the pistol grip.
reef_runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Shaky
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Shaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to Pirate
Lots of stocks for sale on ebay. May be your best bet, if the wood is split all the way through it may not be repairable. If its not split all the way through I would still be worried about it even after getting it fixed.
Lots of people will buy a gun just for the action and barrel and then re stock it with a custom stock and then sell the original. Or you could just buy an aftermarket synthetic stock from a place like McMillan.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Johnboat
Say "when"

Johnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to PirateJohnboat has been promoted to Pirate
Work I agree

You can spend a lot of time and aggravation trying to find someone who will properly repair your cracked stock. Even properly repaired, the market value of your gun is much less. In my opinion this is your opportunity to upgrade to a McMillan or other fine composite stock and never look back. By the way, where yours split is typical...a weak spot. Sometimes recoil can cause a split if there is a poor stock to metal fit. But I bet the main way is in a soft case in the hunting vehicle with someone piling up something heavy on top of it.
Johnboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
2Buck Chuck
Registered Users-pm+

2Buck Chuck is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Mpd

Call Southern Firearms 16220-2 Bear Bayou Channelview, TX

281-860-0727
2Buck Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
gundoctor
Registered Users-pm+

gundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiegundoctor has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_runner
Does anyone know of a place I can take my stock to get it repaired around Angleton/South Houston area? Somehow the stock on my 700 BDL split from right behind the trigger guard down to the pistol grip.

How successful a split stock can be repaired depends on how bad the split is and how the grain of the wood runs in relation to the shape of the stock. Some times it can be done fairly easy and made stronger than it was to begin with. Some time its a lost cause.
When I did repairs on stocks that were split through the pistol grip area, I would drill a hole from inside the inletting(under the action) that went all the way to the bottom of the pistol grip with out showing from the outside. Then I would put a piece of 1/4" threaded rod in the hole and epoxy it all together. After that, it was just a matter of blending in the finish so the crack didn't show. The hardest part of this kind of job, is figuring out how to clamp every thing in place long enough for the epoxy to set up.
gundoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message