2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Marlin 30.06

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  ZenDaddy 
#1 ·
My father in law and I hope to go to New Mexico this year to hunt mule deer on some of their public land. He has a birthday next month and has been hinting that he needs a 30.06. In fact, he told my wife today that Academy had a sale on the Marlin 30.06. Very suttle hint. So, my question is if any of you have ever used this rifle and what opinions you have on it.

#2 ·
My father in law and I hope to go to New Mexico this year to hunt mule deer on some of their public land. He has a birthday next month and has been hinting that he needs a 30.06. In fact, he told my wife today that Academy had a sale on the Marlin 30.06. Very suttle hint. So, my question is if any of you have ever used this rifle and what opinions you have on it.
I don't have one in a 30.06, but I do have a marlin .17hmr and it is a very good rifle. Marlin makes good quality products and will last if you take care of them. They are also a good value because they offer some of the finer qualities of higher priced rifles for the "working man". Don't get me wrong they aren't cheap guns. They are just affordable. Make sure it has the adjustable trigger though. I ended up getting one in a .22mag and took it back because the trigger wasn't that great and it was non adjustable. My .17 has the adustable trigger and it is awesome breaks just like glass.

#3 ·
They are brand new, so a little untested. Marlin is known for it's top quality craftsmanship, and it's believed to carried over to their bolt action rifles.

They are low priced. However, from the few I've handled they seem pretty sturdy. the ones at Academy do go very quickly. Especially, the 25.06. Field and Stream gave them some top marks in a review of rifles.

If you got some time visit the Marlin Owners website: http://www.marlinowners.com/

There's a section on the new XL7 Bolt Action.

#6 ·
He has already decided but I just wanted to make sure it was a good decision. The more info the better. He has never shot one but he saw a review and it was positive. He does own a marlin 30/30. As far as price goes, I'm not locked down to anything. I don't really want to spend a grand on a gift but may for the right rifle.

#11 ·
Great gun for the money and well tested. It will out shoot many much more expensive rifles right out of the box.
My Savage 30-06 will reliably shoot slightly sub-1" groups with factory ammo. I have not done anything to it other than replace the scope. I do not know if it might be more accurate if someone else was pulling the trigger.

#7 ·
Marlin XL7 279.99 at Academy
Great rifle, Accurate right out of the box, and has hard price to beat.
Marlin is now owned by Remington and I would guess that who make the bolt.
Made in the USA!
5 out of 5 stars

#8 ·
For me personally, if my budget was up to $1000, I could probably find something I preferred. If he wants and is happy with the Marlin then he should be fine. It is made to a price point and should really be compared to others in about the same range.

I'd love a new Kimber Classic Select in .30-06 but the cost is a lot more and some would worry about damaging the nice wood. Could you get one for close to $1000? Maybe but you would still need a good scope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.