2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

How do you rate ar 15

3K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  plhsurfer 
#1 ·
Who makes the very best and who makes the worse? Is Colt the very best? Also what is the price range from the best to the worse. Which caliber is the best.

1. Who makes the best and worst?

2. Is Colt the best?

3. What is the price range?

4. Which caliber is the best?

Thanks

#6 ·
Seriously, the .223 is the standard for the platform and there are numerous variations. There may be some consensus as to the top two or three rifles in each price range, but not the one best. Prices can climb to $2000 or more, depending on options (quad rail, BUIS, optics, stock configuration, etc.) and whether you go with direct gas impingement or a newer (not strictly AR) piston design.

There are a bunch of guys on here that know more than I do, and there are AR-specific boards with even more scoop.

#7 ·
Someone awhile back posted a link on here that will take you to a forum where a guy compares most of the brands out there. It was very informative for me. Maybe if someone remembers it, they could post it back up or you could maybe do a search for it on here.

#9 ·
Who makes the very best and who makes the worse? Is Colt the very best? Also what is the price range from the best to the worse. Which caliber is the best.

1. Who makes the best and worst?

2. Is Colt the best?

3. What is the price range?

4. Which caliber is the best?

Thanks
These question should also have a line for everyone to get out the popcorn... :biggrin:

For 1 and 2...depends if you're an elitest or not. I'm not.

3. The do it your selfer can (could) save a bunch of money on one. I have built several for myself for $550.

4. I have fell in love with the 7.62X39 I built for the wife as a hog gun. So much so I bought dies for it this morning to see just how good this AR can be. It is a standard conture 20" that I put a full floated quad rail on.

Right now I am trying to either find another upper chambered in the same (7.62X39) for myself, but the Obama rush has caused all kinds of problems with parts supplies for AR-15's. I've been waiting on a upper kit (20" SS Bull Barrel) since Nov. and won't get it till Feb. as it looks right now.

#10 ·
I think you need to determine what you are going to do with it. Are you going to hunt? If so what are you hunting for? This will determine what caliber you should get or what options you should look at.

Is it for target use? How accurate does it need to be? How far will you be shooting? Another reason to pick the right caliber. .223 is good for about 500 yards and a little further with good conditions. 6.8 is good for around 300 yards or so. Ammo pricing and availability should also be determined in your decision process.

Are you going to use optics or iron sights? This will narrow your choices even though most are A3/A4 style with flat top uppers. This way you can use either or both.

I have a Bushmaster and a CMMG. I like both. They are both .223 with very different purposes for me. I have a carbine with a 16" barrel for fun shooting. The other is an 18" midlength for target use and predator hunting. They both serve me well. I spent $650 on my Bushmaster back in 1999 and I built my CMMG for around $700-750. You can spend $2K+ with all the options these days.

It all comes down to what you want it for and what you are willing to spend to get it. Pretty much all of the the AR's are built the same with similar parts. Sure some are not that great of quality and others are very nice. Most are "Mil-Spec" however you view that term, so parts are interchangeable.

#11 ·
I like the chart, but bear in mind, that is for one specific model at one time. For example, a bunch of the RRA's have the M4 feed ramps. Maybe that one did not, but numerous other models did or do now. Of course, for decades, folks put millions of rounds down range without issue thru AR-15's and semi fired M-16's during a time in which no one even knew about M4 ramps.

Further, a number of the items listed - MPI for one - will be done by actual gov. contractors because they are required to do so under various contracts. Not saying thats good or bad, but when one can spread the cost over millions of units, its a bit different that spreading it over say 3K or 10K units a year. Tons of high end, well respected weapons are built with components that are not MPI'ed.

Additionally, the features selected in the chart are somewhat subjective. Higher end units with SS barrels, for example, will not be chrome lined, so on a chart like this, it appears they are lacking, when in fact, they may be actually better. Similarly, for accuracy issues, some shooters avoid chrome lined barrels. Again, the chart would suggest lacking when reality may be different. Same with 5.56 chamber. I have and would pay extra to avoid a 5.56 chamber.

Overall, looking at pre-election pricing, one generally gets what one pays for. Only exception might be the "hot" item of the day in which there is a supply/demand imbalance. Basically, no free lunch or "its just like a Sony, it has Sony guts" issues where one can save significantly. The consumers truly driving this bus (pre-election) where generally well informed, and the pricing generally reflected the manner in which things were valued in the market.

Colts in particular command a premium based upon name/history. Plus, the fit and finish is excellent. If buying a shooter, perhaps its not worth the premium relative to other quality weapons. If buying as an investment, maybe it is a solid selection.

#14 ·
Noveske rifle works makes the absolute best GAS Ar15.

Addax Tactical makes the best piston AR15.

Charles Daly makes an excellent entry level AR for a good price.

DPMS makes good ARs

Bushmaster makes an OK Ar chambers are very tight and could have problems with Mil spec stuff....

Larue Tactical makes the best mounts and parts.

just my two cents but i own a few and have shot many many over the last 25 years or so.

Jim

#15 ·
For what it's worth I recently purchased a RRA Coyote Rifle with a 20" barrel. I mounted a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x50 atop some ungodly expensive tactical scope rings. The fit and finish of this rifle is perfect. It shoots like a dream with the cheapest ammo you can run through it. I love it and would ABSOLUTELY recommend it to anyone looking for a excellent varmint rifle.

#16 ·
Government actually buys the RRA, they are made to milspec for the most part. Colts are nice, but high $$$. I have a pair of DPMS that shoot lights out, dimes at 100 yards. The fit and finish is not as good, but the price makes it OK.

Got a 6.8 SPC upper on order, 20" 1 in 11 CM barrel, stainless not available. I have high hope for this one, the .223 is good for accuracy out to 500 yards, but I like to hog hunt and it needs more oomph out there. The 6.8 round is good much further than the .223, the best thing is that it fits the .223 lower with no mods. I wanted a .243 AR, but then had to go to the AR10 platform, due to cartridge length. Have shot that in .308, liked it, hated carrying it, especially with heavy barrel.

so what are you buying?

#20 ·
I am a gun dealer and business has been great with the maddness out there right now. I have to agree with Bantam1 100%. It all depends on how deep your pockets are. The day after the election my inventory was wiped out and now every weapon I have sold is on order with a 10 to 12 week delivery. I can tell you this when you go to purchase one just be sure you compare apples to apples because alot is priced on the name. I know by this next statement alot of guys will have comments on. The number one seller for me right now is Olympic Arms, mostly the Plinker Plus. This is because most guys and gals just want a black gun if there is some sort of band and this is a inexpensive intro to the AR world. If you have any questions let me know.

#23 ·
Great White Fisherman-

If you plan to hunt then I would look at the 6.8 as an option. Its a .270 bullet in a shorter case. It has great ballistics to about 300 yards and good stopping power for hunting purposes. I know a lot of people that hunt deer and pigs with them. Ammo is a little more expensive but for a dual purpose round it excels. If you reload then it shouldn't be that bad to plink and target shoot with. The .223/5.56 is a great round but I would like something bigger for bigger game.

You could also look at the AR 10 type rifles in .308, .260 Remington, .243 and .338 Federal. DPMS has several options for caliber choices in this platform. I think they even have a 6.5 Creedmore now too in case you want to start shooting matches :biggrin:

#25 ·
colts are going to be hard to find. Armalites (with one exception) are expensive, and also hard to find right now. There are a plethora of other makers of custom AR's (wilson combat, Les Baer, etc) that make extraordinary AR15's.

as for the caliber, that would depend on what you intend to use it for. You can go with the standard 5.56 and shoot surplus mil spec ammo, or .223 ammo. Some of the other calibers are going to be hard to locate ammo, unless you reload (6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, .458 socom, .50 beowulf, etc...). There's also .243 wssm, .25 wssm, .204 ruger....quite a few.

I use my 5.56 AR's for shooting pigs, coyotes, and the occasional pumpkin after halloweeen is over. I have never lost a battle at close range or long range with either of my AR's, even though if you look at that list, you would assume the bushmaster to be a failing piece of garbage since it doens't have a black extractor spring insert or shot peened bolt....Do these things make the rifle better? Yes. Will the average schmoe like me ever notice? probably not.

unless you are thinking of joining a SEAL team to do some CQB, go buy a bushmaster, RRA, or S&W and don't worry about all these detailed lists. These are all quality guns, and they function well and for what 99.9% of people will do with an AR15.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.