2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

.223/5.56 brass

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Ernest 
#1 ·
I am looking for once fired, preferably military crimped, .223/5.56 brass. Will pay cash or trade. Will take any boxer primed head stamps other than Fed., Wolf, or Armsco (spelling?). Looking for between 3 and 4 thousand in total.

Trade bait includes small pistol primers, Black Talon in .40, Rem. factory 30-06 ammo, AK rounds, new E. German AK 30 round mags, or whatever else I got around.

Not desperate. Merely frustrated. Cleaned matching head stamped LC/WCC/Win. is $80 to $85 a thousand, but its a PITA to get on-line due to all the hording and involves considerable delays. Its just killing me to have to "blast" M193 to get fresh brass for hand loads.

Come on, I know a bunch of y'll are pack rats like me. Picking up brass at the range that you will never reload. Picking up all your brass even though you don't have a press. Telling your kids or wife to pick up all the "shiny" brass while you are shooting at the range. Unload some of that stuff for cash or score some primers or temp. hard to get ammo.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Texas T- I actually found the guys that bought the last lot of that.

While the Warden is real cool, 75,000 lbs of brass in the garage might just tip her over the edge. So, buying in that kinda bulk is out of the question.

#8 ·
I am looking for once fired, preferably military crimped, .223/5.56 brass. Will pay cash or trade. Will take any boxer primed head stamps other than Fed., Wolf, or Armsco (spelling?). Looking for between 3 and 4 thousand in total.

Trade bait includes small pistol primers, Black Talon in .40, Rem. factory 30-06 ammo, AK rounds, new E. German AK 30 round mags, or whatever else I got around.

Not desperate. Merely frustrated. Cleaned matching head stamped LC/WCC/Win. is $80 to $85 a thousand, but its a PITA to get on-line due to all the hording and involves considerable delays. Its just killing me to have to "blast" M193 to get fresh brass for hand loads.

Come on, I know a bunch of y'll are pack rats like me. Picking up brass at the range that you will never reload. Picking up all your brass even though you don't have a press. Telling your kids or wife to pick up all the "shiny" brass while you are shooting at the range. Unload some of that stuff for cash or score some primers or temp. hard to get ammo.

Thanks.
Not trying to use the board for advertising, but I own Castle Shooter Supply (once fired brass and other reloading components). I've got DRUMS of almost every common pistol caliber and 50,000 pcs of onced fired .223 as well as thousands of other common rifle calibers as well.

I love this board, and will give a 10% discount to all SHEEPIES....I will warn you though, the ammo companies that I mainly sell to are paying more than what you have listed in your post (they by em 10,000 at a time though) and I am seeing them sell for $150 per thousand on auction boards.

Shoot me a pm if you want more info.

#9 ·
too late!!!

just sold on gunbroker!

Current Bid $17.00 No Reserve! Started at $13.00 BuyNow! Price was $17.00 Quantity 1# of bids 1 Bid HistoryTime left Auction has Ended
15 minute rule
Location BERESFORD, SD 57004
UNION County Started 4/14/2009 10:44:12 PM ET (This is a 7 day auction)
Ends On or After 4/15/2009 1:22:27 AM ET (Official Auction Time)

.223 brass once fired!!!! 190+ pieces
Seller farmdude A+(2) View the feedback of this seller | View seller's other auctions | Ask seller a question Winning Bidder BEARDAWG1 NR Block this bidder... Add this listing to your watch list Mail this listing to a friend Payment Methods PayPalSales Tax Seller did not specify whether or not sales tax will be collectedShipping Buyer pays fixed amount of $6.99 for shippi

#12 ·
Personally, I don't like Federal for two reasons.

First, its short. Bunch of it measures 1.737 to 1.741. I don't think that a safety concern at all, but if one crimps the rounds, you have to separate it out so the crimps are right. I don't crimp at all, so thats not my issue.

The other problem with the short length is that for any given COAL, short brass mixed with longer brass will give you different amount of pressure on the bullet simply because one may have 15/1000's more neck gripping the bullet. For blasting, it makes no difference, but trying to get from say .60 MOA at 200 yards to .40 MOA at 200 yards, every little thing stacks up. My brass is all trimmed to 1.752/1.753 so most all the Fed. will be more than 10/1000 short.

Second, my experience with Fed. in .223/5.56 suggests some of it tends to tolerate fewer reload cycles before the primer pocket gets loose. Some of the late 90's stuff was particularly bad about that, while much of the newer stuff is fine. So, I am forced to separate it out by years. If I'm going to do a careful brass prep, I want to do it with stuff I can fire 4 or 5 more times rather than stuff I can fire only one or two more times.

I don't reload for blasting/mag dumps till I've reloaded it 3 or 4 times. Its fine for blasting, but that represents only a small fraction of my reloading efforts.

None of this applies to Fed. pistol brass or some other rifle calibers.

But, this is just my opinion.

#15 ·
Both, but the semi's are the high round count.

I typically trim once. Trim to 1.752/1.753 and not have to trim again for the AR before I'm done with them.

For the AR, load three or four times, then blast and leave at the range or scrap. Thats not unusual, so be careful with range pick ups. Bunch of it is on its last legs. If the crimp is removed and its left at the range, most times, there is a reason for it being abandoned.

In my view, XDies are a solution looking for a problem if you are using an AR. For a semi, you generally have to bump the shoulder each time. Not much, but a little. Might get away with just neck sizing for a reload or two, but don't count on it. So, you are working the brass relative to just neck sizing for a bolt gun. By the time you get up there in reload count and start thinking about another trim, you are also looking at annealing the cases. Easier to just dump and start with fresher brass unless you want to anneal.

This stuff is $65 or so a 1000 shipped for mil. once fired last time I bought it earlier this year. Before that, even cheaper. So, I don't anneal.

#17 ·
No, never. Loading for an Fal, a Grendel, and a couple AR type weapons, I have never needed small base dies. Unless the brass has been fired in something with a huge chamber, never encountered a need for it. Plus, if it is oversized that far down the case - down to almost the web kinda level - I'm not interested in reloading it anyway.

If the brass in running thru just one AR, measure your once fired case - from that weapon - and set the dies to bump back the shoulder .002 or there abouts. Me, I shoot for a .002 bump, but if its only .001 or .003, its no big deal. The cases have different levels of spring back so its never exact.

Adjusting my dies per the instructions (cam over the shell plate) I can get a huge shoulder bump. Like .010 total or .008 smaller than my target size. So, I can bump the shoulder back all I want to insure operation in any AR. My bolt action wants an AR fired round - from one of my guns - bumped back .003 to .004.

But I'm talkin a headspace/shoulder bump thing, not - the body of case is grossly expanded in diameter so you have to resize pert near down to the rim.

Bear in mind, these are just my crazed opinions. Worth what you paid for them, nothing more. Bunch of ways to skin this cat, and I happen to like feeding it melted butter.

#21 ·
Ernest

Got my brass today and I guess its just what I ordered. Its no bench rest stuff just a bunch of GI brass with primer pocket reamed and tumbled. Its good for clip loading and plinking.(what I ordered it for) but I think thats about it. Havent had time to really check it out COL etc. but will sooner or later. Hundred bucks plus shipping.

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.