2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Sausage making

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wet dreams 
#1 ·
Need some opinions. When making sommer sausage with jalapenos, how many hot ones per ?? pounds. What's generally safe for kids and whats good with a cool one? Need some advice. Thanks ahead Mike:cheers:

#2 ·
Sausage

I have not put them in Summer sausage, but in regular pan or link sausage I use one pound of sliced jalapenos (diced) per 25 lbs of sausage. Adds Jalapeno taste without adding much heat. I have used as much as 2#, I thought that was a bit much. This is if I am using the jalapeno seasoning. I have not added it to one of the other seasonings. I use Trappeys, or if I am making a bunch, I buy the big cans of jalapenos.
Good luck.
BB

#3 ·
I don't use jalapenos in my summer sausage. I use pepperjack cheese, cut up into 1/4" cubes and ran through a kidney plate. It's a high temp cheese that won't melt into the summer sausage. Most places can order it. It comes in 5lb blocks for about $15 and I use 1/2 of it for every 50lbs of sausage.
If you use the peppers, just make sure all the seeds are out and you finely chop them up. Try one pepper per 2lbs of meat for a start.

#5 ·
When I made a 50# batch o summer a few weeks ago, I used 15 or so of the fresh big japalenos from H-E-B and it wasn't hot at all. Should have used more. Used the wifes high dollar pampered chef chopper after cleaning the cores and seeds out.

Also, this time opted to use 4 of the 1# block pkgs of sharp extra cheddar @ 4.99 a #. Just gotta use a good sharp butcher knive to get the size you want. I smoked it for 10 hrs and the cheese held up fine all the way to an internal temp of 160 deg.

#9 ·
I would be interested in the 'low temp' cheese, last yr while searching for the recipe for Jal-cheese I asked the owner at Zummos about the cheese he told me the cheese they use melts and runs into the meat. Their sausage IS one I would like to match...WW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.