2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Another gun safe thread

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Tommy2000 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a decent, 8-10 rifle safe to put inside a small walk-in closet. I know all about how one should buy a safe bigger than you could ever imagine filling, but I am limited by the size of my closet. I want to get at a minimum, 10 guage steel. I'm thinking for a safe that size, I should be able to get something "decent" for around $800? Most safes I have seen compromised on the net have gotten that way becasue the perps were able to tump them over and or swing a fire axe and or use a long wrecking bar. All of these things will be tough inside a small closet. I'm mostly looking to keep some punk kid out anyway, not MacGyver.

Thanks

#6 ·
Even if your just looking for minimal security, I strongly recommend getting it at least 1/2 hr fire rated. Among all the losses in a tragic fire, your arms don't have to be part of it. For $800, you should be able to find a great safe, maybe with some change left over. Another option I've seen is a door system for retrofitting the closet door. It's a complete prehung security door with a combo-lock. However it has no fire protection and is only as secure as the walls adjacent to it.

#8 ·
I have three steel gun lockers bolted together and lag screwed to the floor and walls inside a large closet. It's designed to keep out miscreants until the police arrive. Plus, all the guns and ammo are outa reach of the grandkids when they visit so their non-hunting parents don't have a ***** fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.