2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Rebuilding deer blinds

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cwbyhntr 
#1 ·
I need some advise from you guys if possible. I have a 4 foot by 6 foot deer blind that was built with 3/4 channel steel being used as the frame.

It has a porch and all but it is older and the plywood has been damaged as well as the frame from the hurricane this summer. I have allready taken all the plywood off and straightened out the steel frame.

My question is this. What would be my best option to rebuild it with a sturdy but lightweight wall material. I figure I will put plywood back down on the floor but need something to last a long time once I rebuild this.

It will be on an elevated stand (about 7-10 feet) so I am looking for something not to heavy to lift it all into place.

Thanks for the help in advance

#3 ·
If just the base (floor) is steel I'd just use 1/2 playwood and reinforce it with some angle iron. Frame the roof, vert. walls, and cross-member the walls. Otherwise Fiberglass it but it'll get $$$.

On a side note, I'd get the pre-treated wood or treat it yourself, than paint it with some oil-based paint.

#4 ·
Stand

It may not be as light as you would like, but 1/4" hardi-board will last a long time. It is very brittle, so you have to be careful and drill all holes and make sure it does not try to bend over a hump in the frame. You can paint it, and it will last probably as long as you care to keep it. I use 3/8 exterior sheeting on mine, but even in dry climates (hill country) it only last 15 years or so.
Good luck.
BB

#7 ·
blinds

I know some people on here will disagree, but the last blinds I built were out of 7/16 OSB while I was a broke college student in 2001. They are still solid with no problems. Make sure youy have a good tin roof that doesn't leak and paint the outside.

#8 ·
thanks for the responses so far. I should have said or made it more clear the WHOLE frame is made using steel. This is why I am trying to find something durable and lightweight.

My brother made a blind using the hardi plank but I am not sure how light that would be compared to treated plywood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.