2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Hog baiting tactics?

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  100% Texan 
#1 ·
Tried gool ol' sour corn a number of times, but not only do the ***** get into it, but have actually sat and watched deer eat it.

Anyone got a good hog only formula?

#4 ·
Try some strawberry flavored jello mix..always seems to work for me!!
I always found the corn pieces makes the jello lumpy and hard to swallow. But too each his own!

FYI - Try a 'hog pipe.' A four foot long piece of PVC with small half inch holes cut down one side. Glue a cap on one end, put a bolt through a cap on the other end. Fill with corn and jello. Bolt the cap on. Run a piece of chain through two holes drilled near the top of the PVC. Anchor chain around a tree.

The hogs will smell the corn/jello and begin rolling the PVC. This will cause some corn/jello to come out. It will also prevent deer and racoons from emptying all in one evening. I'll try post pictures later.

#6 ·
hog

SOYBEANS ARE BEST!!!!!!!!!! BY FAR BUT CORNS ALLRIGHT pour vanilla in there! they will go ape chit! or some koolaid or orange mix! mix with cheap beer dumped in there also! if you really wanna hammer em sour some soybeans all the farmers have them around here! and the deer wont touch em. and you talk about FUNKY! that **** will sour up stanky! the beans will double in size so dont put too many you will blow your barrel up or blow the lid off! we used to use seed soybeans from garret farms in Danbury. cant miss em rite off 35 in just south of Angleton in danbury

#15 ·
like you two would know......haha

all you need is a feeder. that's it. and some barbed wire so the cows can't get to it. that's pretty much a garaunteed kill. the ***** will still get it but so what, they can't eat that much.

Weather Or Knott said:
Put some game cams out, see what time they normally feed. thats what time you should be hunting.

#20 ·
I would not recommend this due to the ecology issue.....but diesel soaked corn is on of the best ways to draw in hogs....another is the best and most sure fire method to bring them in but is not really environmentaly(sp) sound........ dig a hole and set an oil pan in the ground...you know the kind you change your oil in....pour some old oil from your car when you change it.....and whalaa.......instant hog appeal
The hogs love the oil and diesel for its ability to help rid their bodies of lice and other annoying bugs.....and can smell it for miles
PS.....the local GW might not like to find this sort of bait

TS

#21 ·
Get a post hole digger and dig a hole about 2 feet in the ground, add your soured corn, peas, beans or whatever you are going to use, and leave it. They will root around that hole for days trying to get to the goodies. I personally use corn with some hogwild, then put some hogwild around the hole so they can smell it. The ***** won't be able to get too much of it out of the hole.

#22 ·
Thanks everyone!

About the only thing I've never tried is the Diesel.. Heard plenty of people talk about it, and was hoping to get some replies in this thread from people reccomending it.

To the gentlemen that posted about using the pipe with holes drilled in it, no need for photos, i already use a pipe and have had it out since last spring lol. Thanks though!

Thinking about ordering some Sow in heat urine, would think it should work well. Can mix it in with corn, and load it in the feeder.

btw.. If anyone is in the Dayton/Old River area, and wants to get together for some Hog Hunting, send me a message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.