2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

300 ultra mag factory ammo suggestions

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  11andy11 
#1 ·
just picked up a remington 700 in 300 RUM. Anybody with a similar rifle have any suggestions on what they rifle likes or dislikes. Looking for 180 grain loads.

#2 ·
I have the 300 RUM SPS in SS and added a brake, tuned the triger, and floated the barrel. I only run 180 grain power level III's down the tube...I have a box of the 150 grain power level III's just because. I have not tried other power levels simply because I just have not put enough time in with it...but it likes the 180's because it will shoot 1" groups with them. The second time out with the rifle it was shooting sub 1" groups...

#4 ·
I have the 300RUM in the old sendero, stainless, bull barrell and it likes 180 grains as well. It will shoot 3 shot penny size groups with factory or hand loads, have tried both could not find a difference worth swithing. With a 180 grain bullet you are good to go from whitetail to Africa Kudu, did it 2007 the rifle did the job with no problems.

Attachments

#5 ·
Remington offers 3 power levels. They offer 150, 180 and 200 grain bullets with several bullets styles including the swift scirrroco (my favorite). Baileys house of guns 713-433-2475 has ammo and will order anything you want.
I still need a scope for mine and cant decide what one to get.
Leupold mark 4 6.5x20x50mm or 8.5x25x50mm with a 30mm tube and either the lr/t or er/t with the m1. They also have a bdc (bullet drop compensator) set of knobs available.

#6 ·
I reload my RUM w/165 grain nosler ballistic tips pushed by 92 grains of H1000 w/cci mag250 primer...SUPER FAST...IMO if not reloading I would suggest the 180 scirroco. You are going to find that places like gander mountain never have ammo for the 300 except in s/a and academy almost always has what you need. just my 2c

#9 ·
thanks for the help. I put a zeiss conquest 4.5 by 14 power side focus on her. Thats one sweet optic. Usually I have trouble focusing a scope to my eye due to astigmatism (sp) but I can easily get the crosshairs very crisp with this glass. Also went with the leupold QRW rings and bases which if you are not familiar with them allows you to remove the scope by throwing 2 levers without losing zero.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.