2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Putting a Scope on A LeverGUN

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  sweenyite 
#1 ·
From an earlier post it seems there are a lot of hunters who use a lever gun. I have a whole stable of them. From a .22 to a 45.70.

Interested to hear what kind of scope you use (for those of you that use scopes.)

On my Marlin 336SS I had a relatively cheap Bushnell Trophy. It's always worked fine. However, last Saturday night a large group of very large hogs came out at exactly 6:23 PM. I could see them with my binoculars, but not through my rifle scope. I was facing west so there should have been enough light. The only thing I could see through my scope was shadows. (Not sure what it's called, but when your scope and eye aren't in alignment you get a black crescent shape and everything else looks fuzzy.) I'm not sure if shooting the gun has ruined the scope, or it's not very good in low light conditions ... but here's my question:

What kind of scope do you use for a Marlin 30.30 for shooting hogs out to about 75 yards?

#2 ·
:smile:

I'd have to recommend Leupold. If you want a fixed power, go with 6x. If you want adjustable 3-9x or their 2 1/2-8x will work fine. Leupold will beat Bushnell for light transmission (except the Elite 4000+ series), and blow it away in field sturdiness. If you can swing it, the extra money for the higher grades soon shows worth in the field, generally in clarity under low light conditions.

#7 ·
I would recommend putting the see through mounts(if thats what they are called) so you can shoot either scope or hard sites.....I have a simmons on my 336 with the see through sites and love it....I was very immpressed with the simmons 44 magnum...I think that is what it is called...I also have one on a .264 Win Mag...great scope for the money

#14 ·
:)

The see-through mounts seem like a cool concept, and I tried them in the past. My problem is that I'm an accuracy fanatic. To use a scope mounted with them, you have to raise your head from proper stock alignment. That can be detrimental to shot placement.

#9 ·
Cabelas has their 3-9 "Lever Evolution" scope for 99.99. You buy the scope for the round you are using and then if you use the Hornady LE ammo, the 200 and 300 yard crosshairs will work perfectly.
I have it on a 45-70 and I cna tell you the 100 yard and 200 yard marks are right on, and the Hornady ammo will shoot a 2" group at 200 yards.

#10 ·
My fung swhay is a Ghost ring aperture and a tritijicon dot. If you have to scope it go low-low power and low mounts. A fixed 2.5x to a max 4x is my pick. A 1.1-5x or 1.5-6x is also in there if you want a variable.

That cresent of light I believe is called edge flare.

Since you have already done the econo scope thing I would start at the Bushnell 3200 series, Leupold vx-II, Nikon Monarch or Team Primos and go up from there.

A friend just returned a Cabelas Pine Ridge because it wouldn't hold settings on his 45-70. Leupold has always seemed to be one of the most durable scopes.

#15 ·
I don't see what the big deal is. If you shoot regular ammo your lever gun isn't going to be accurate past 100-150 yards. If you shoot the leverrevolution ammo you can shoot up to 250. I personally would put a scope on one if I was going to shoot over 150 yards, just makes it easier to know where you are shooting. A scope also lets you see beyond your target too, for anything that you wouldn't want to hit.

#16 ·
Just bought a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag. Bought it for a good all-around, keep-between-the-front-seats hog, coyote, and beer can blaster. Never intend to scope it. Brush guns don't need no steeenkin' scope! :)

#18 ·
Leupold and I think Bushnell or Burris have scout scopes. I emailed leupold and asked them but I deleted the email (stupid stupid! :headknock) with the model perfect for a lever gun. But after a quick search I came up with these http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...s/fx-ii-riflescopes/fx-ii-2-5x28mm-ier-scout/ and http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/fx-ii-riflescopes/fx-ii-4x33mm/.

You can get the XS ghost ring sights as well because you will lose your rear sight because you will forward mount the scope. Then you can also get the quick disconnect rings like these http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...-and-accessories/mounting-systems/qrw-mounts/

So this way you can use the gun with a scope or with out and you will have the best of both worlds.

I thought about doing this as well and have researched it. Good luck if you do.

Best shot ever with mine gun was 75 yds at night with open sights. Dead hog down.

#20 ·
It would be nice if a persons eyesight didn't weaken with age but unfortunately for most of us, it does. That being said, I find that a nice plate of backstrap and taters holds quite a bit of fung shui, even if it does take some glass to achieve it......:D

#23 ·
if John Browning could have had access to Hornady's Leverevolution ammunition; a scope would have been included in the design of the lever rifle..spot on to 200 yrds..short, light, and easy to handle

#24 ·
I use variable power handgun scope with illuminated reticle, mounted out over the barrel instead of on the receiver. Takes some getting used to, but you look through the scope with your dominant eye, keeping the other eye open as well, for peripheral vision. Yep, both eyes open. Works great. Very quick to get on target.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.