2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

East Texas Flooded Timber

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Mojo281 
#1 ·
We hunted the wrong hole.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks Will, I will give him a shout. I know it was his year to shoot a trophy 2 or 3 years ago, so he shouldn't be up again, can't wait to hear what he dropped.

We had a great time being out yesterday, but it was frustrating. Not a ton of birds, and the ones we did see all dropped into a hole several hundred yards from us that we didn't even know about. Of course, we checked it out -looked great but there wasn't much of an opening in the canopy, I guess it doesn't matter the way they were sucking in there though. We might try and hit it before the end of the season.

We did end up with a hen woodie, but I thought the empty strap shot was pretty funny.

#10 ·
It is njacob's, I think he got it for Christmas and hasn't had a chance to bloody it up yet. It was definitely mentioned that breaking out the virgin strap and over-presumptiously hanging it on the tree might have upset the duck gods. Either that or we might have used up all our mojo on the banded pintail in Rockport last weekend!

Mojo, we couldn't really tell where they were going until late in the morning and the flight had all but stopped by then. We originally thought they were dropping into a farm pond that NEVER has ducks on it in a pasture adjacent to the bottoms we were hunting. Once the sun got high enough we could see that they were actually dropping somewhere in the bottoms and then it took some exploring to find the actual hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.