2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Banded Bird

992 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Aggiechick 
#1 ·
I shot a banded red head yesterday and am getting it mounted. The thing is the band is really worn out and they are telling me to send them the band for etching to get the number off it. I have the last 5 #s. If I send them the band will it be able to be put back on the bird to be mounted? No pics right now cause I forgot my camera, but will put some up when I get them from some friends.

#2 ·
I also shot a redhead this year. They told me I could send it to them and they would send it back.

You will have to cal them and get the address.

I was sure to attach a note in the envelope to make sure they would understand I wanted it back for a bird mount.

#3 ·
I just shot a banded red head as well and all i could see is the last 5 digits. I did the etching myself and was able to get the first numbers off.

It ended up being a 13yr old bird.

To etch it i used a 50/50 mix of muratic acid and water then dipped in the part of the band that was worn until i could pick out the numbers. This will make the aluminum pitted and a little discolored but you will be able to report and know that you will get the band back.

congrats on the band.

#4 ·
I just shot a banded red head as well and all i could see is the last 5 digits. I did the etching myself and was able to get the first numbers off.

It ended up being a 13yr old bird.

To etch it i used a 50/50 mix of muratic acid and water then dipped in the part of the band that was worn until i could pick out the numbers. This will make the aluminum pitted and a little discolored but you will be able to report and know that you will get the band back.

congrats on the band.
I thought about doing it, but I knew somehow I would wind up swallowing the acid...

#5 ·
I shot a banded redhead back in november and the band was so worn I couldn't even make out one number. The band was so worn I was afraid to take it off because I thought it would break. Once the band was out of the water for about an hour 1 number could barely be made out from a rust line. Was just going to get the bird mounted since I didn't think it was possible to recover any of the numbers. After reading this post it makes me believe that there is a slight possibility that mix of muratic acid might work. What do yall think I should do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.