2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

First Ever Hunt with my son....Was fantastic!

4K views 38 replies 38 participants last post by  essayons75 
#1 ·
Okay so I was the single mom who got drawn for the hunt at Enchanted Rock...remember that thread? My panic, excitement, asking for advice. Well our hunt started on the 14th at Enchanted Rock we drove up that morning and had orientation at 1PM, went over the rules do's and don'ts. We could take 4 does or 3 does and a spike. While we were getting our gear together we see two does up close to the headquarters. They took us out to our blinds at 2PM...we see some small Axis deer on the way out to our blind. My son who has wanted to hunt since I can remember is 13 and we sat in that blind and watched and waited......the excitement of just being there was great. So we wait and wait we watched this squirrel who was quite entertaining clean himself, we heard a turkey, watched birds....then at 5PM we see it a deer comes out from the brush and trees and starts munching on corn we had put out. Up comes the gun my son has the scope and I grab the binoculars.....he lifts his head and sure enough he has antlers and nice little four point buck. He struts around eating corn filling up his belly. That adrenaline rush when you finally see what your waiting on then that drop of it not being what you are looking for. So at 6:15 they come and get us from our blind and we leave for the day disappointed but ready for the next morning. We get there to the pary at 5:15AM and load up in the truck and we are at our blind by 5:30. Man it was cold out...we had layers of clothes on we watch the sun come up and see another squirrel some birds and nothing else. They come and get us at 10AM and my son is starting to get frusterated I keep telling him to be thankful that we even got drawn and even though he may not get anything I am happy we just got the opportunity to hang out and enjoy it all. Well you know how well that went over with a 13 year old boy....like a lead balloon. We are back to the park at 1:30 that afternoon and in our blind by 2:10PM. We wait and wait....no squirrel, but about 4:30 we see a couple of skunks munching on the corn. My son by 5:30 he is frusterated telling me should have asked to switched blinds.....Then at 5:50 who shows up the four point buck.....but wait he has brought company. It's a spike.....I am telling my son to make extra sure it's a spike. It is he asked if he can take him? Go ahead if you've got the shot go for it.....I was told my job was to watch to see which way the deer takes off. Shot fired and I don't have the binoculars on him...my son looks at me I tell him I din't have the binoculars on him. My son tells me he dropped where he stood....sure enough we start that direction and he is on ground where he was, but the shot broke his back and he is trying to get up my son puts another round in him and it's over. So gotta get pictures and I don't want to gut him where he was because I knew we still had the next morning to hunt and I knew the deer would be trying to use the trees for cover...so we start carrying him out. The sun is going down...did I mention I have never gutted a deer (I am thankful for you tube videos on the subject) but it's completely different when you are actually doing it. Did I mention by this point it is dark...but I got it done finally without cutting a gut or breaking a bladder in the dark. So now not only am I proud of my son as I can be...but I'm pretty proud of myself. Get the deer back to the campgrounds where some gentlemen are camping and they were very kind and kept watch over it while it hung in a tree that night. What a day...what an experience it was fantastic, I call everyone I think of and we spread the good news. So Friday morning is our last opportunity to go out and we're in the blind with the corn out by 5:40 AM. My son naps until the son come up then about 7:40 he sees something coming out in the same area as the other deer he gets the scope on it, I've got the binoculars it's a doe a very nice size doe. He asked if he can take her...as long as you have a good shot. She is facing directly towards us...we wait......she turns all the way around we are getting a nice look at her butt. I don't take the binoculars off her no matter what.....she turns...shot fired and she dropped where she stood. I field dreesed her and had her hung in about 30 minutes, it was a heck of alot easier in the light of day. So I may have forgot to mention I drive a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport some of the gentlemen who were drawn for the hunt and some of the park rangers thought we were a little crazy and very interested how we were going to get these deer home. With a tarp some bungee cords and a large ice chest it worked out pretty well. I do think when I get my new car though I need a truck! It was great I know we were blessed to have such an experience and I know not every hunt will be this successful, but man if there was a way to get someone hooked on hunting...well then we just experienced it. Can't wait to do it again! I want to thank all of you for the advice you gave and pictures you sent that my son studied on the drive to Enchanted Rock and a very special thanks to SaHunter who sent my son something very special and much needed...he stayed warm when it was cold. I hope you are feeling better you have a picture heading your way...thanks again to you!

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Great job MOM, if only other single moms would do what you do for your son (or daughters). This is the #1 reason we are loosing ground on getting kids into the sport. thank you....WW

#23 ·
Awesome Story

Congratulations to both of you.

You did really well by only taking 30 minutes to gut a deer the first time.

Your son did really well by not getting squimish and finishing off the 1st deer.

Tip: I use a cargo carrier for carrying deer back to the camp. I also use it for carrying an ice chest (deer and ice), use bungee cords to keep it in place. They attach to your hitch and are not expensive

Ruff

#24 ·
A time to treasure

:)

Congratulations to you both.

You'll find that the times you spend out with your son like that are the best there is. As you have seen, the incredible rush when your child is successful in the outdoors is unlke any other. If as seems likely, this hunt is the forerunner to others like it, the memories you forge with your son will bring the two of you closer then you can imagine.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others.

:mpd:
Don't forget to let us know how the venison comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.