2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Taxidermy question

862 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  asolde 
#1 ·
I have a Buck head and cape that I am thinking about mounting. Can I put it in the chest freezer until I am ready to bring him in? If so how do I prepare it for the freezer? Thxs in advance Alex

#2 ·
Set it on a feed sack or paper bag and put it into the freezer for an hour or two. After it has chille, put it in a thick garbage bag. Get all of the air out you can without ripping or poking a hole in the bag and twist and tie the top. Repeat with another garbage bag. In other words double bag. This will last you a while.

I have skinned deer that have been in a freezer for a couple of years. I had to use a small syrenge to inject salt water into the ears and nose to be able to flesh them properly. I, like most taxidermist prefer to skin and flesh on fresh specimens.

Best of luck, PM if you have more questions.

James Morrison

#4 ·
Set it on a feed sack or paper bag and put it into the freezer for an hour or two. After it has chille, put it in a thick garbage bag. Get all of the air out you can without ripping or poking a hole in the bag and twist and tie the top. Repeat with another garbage bag. In other words double bag. This will last you a while.

I have skinned deer that have been in a freezer for a couple of years. I had to use a small syrenge to inject salt water into the ears and nose to be able to flesh them properly. I, like most taxidermist prefer to skin and flesh on fresh specimens.

Best of luck, PM if you have more questions.

James Morrison
Done... thank you for the information. Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.